Alternative Living Commune

Do you know that none of them will work? Generally in these types of communities some do work, and they often refuse to live on state benefits as a matter of pride. I personally don’t see much wrong with people wanting to live in a different way, as long as they pay their taxes, don’t let their goats eat my veg garden, and look after their patch of land.

If they are set to stay, perhaps best to embrace them and communicate with them, and not let a them and us culture develop. But of course any infractions need to be acted on quickly so they don’t become embedded.

6 Likes

Im not sure this group could get away with smoking weed in the heart of the village, 50m from the Mairie, but who knows. I couldn’t care less, personally. :joy:

I’m inclined to think the difference between political activists in cities and those looking to escape into a rural alternative is a bit of a false opposition. This was the point Paul Kingsnorth made in his book about ‘anti-globalisation’, One No, Many Yeses.

One of the interesting things about Trémargat is not only that it seems to be a rural idyll, but that it’s also one of the most left-wing voting communes in France.

I’m reminded of Arnold Wesker’s trilogy of plays that I read as a teenager: the first is set in the battle of Cable Street, among the jewish community that fled central Europe, and is now fighting fascism in London; in the second, the now disillusioned ex-street-fighter, let down by what to him seemed the modest reforms of the new Labour government, nevertheless inspires a young woman to assert her own belief in social justice and equality in the face of her family’s lazy consumerism - and in the third - I’m Talking About Jerusalem - the Cable Street veteran himself tries to retire deep in the countryside and live by crafting hand-made furniture, much to the disappointment of some.

One of the mistakes people make when they move to the countryside is that they fail to realise that these beautiful fields and hedgerows are the ‘factories’ for farmers.
People make their living from the land and that makes noise, smells and you might have to be stuck behind a tractor.
It is hard work and not very well paid for the many small farms that exist.
Country life revolves around small communities and, unless you are from a farming background, it can be hard to come to terms that the idyllic dream is not the rerality.
There is a ready made bartering system and helping others and, unless you have something to give in exchange, you might feel left out in la France Profonde.

4 Likes

I’m really lucky my French spouse grew up in Auvergne-Saint Nectaire country, within a huge farming family. He gets it and can’t understand why I freak out incessantly over the hordes of flies around here! The rest is fine; I’m the outsider and the cows, tractors, mud clods on the roads, etc. were all here first.
But mousetiquaires(sp)…a topic for another day…!

1 Like

We have cows around here, Charolais and we have flies too.

1 Like

Not sure I’ll ever adjust to those annoying pests! I own three flyswatters and I’m not afraid to use them.

1 Like

Excellent definition of life in the countryside!

Don’t forget the hunting, which is necessary with the growing amount of corn planted! Only few people know, that wild boars reproduce at 6 month old and that causes the overpopulation of the animals!

2 Likes

Mantragirl hang up some plastic bags loaded with fly attractant in spring and you should see how the animals aim for the bags and leave you alone. You can find them at Agreal or horse supply stores. When the bag is full, toss it in the trash and no need to loose your nerves!

2 Likes

The situation is the same in my hamlet / commune. The Mairie seems to tolerate the group and their yurts but to be fair they are deep in the woods and are only seen walking to and from the village shops. They all seem to be English middle class types ostentatiously showing off their alt credentials. However there is a great deal of resentment amongst the locals because the group take advantage of all benefits, schooling etc but pay no taxes at all. A

2 Likes

What benefits?

Thanks for the great tip!

Yes I was wondering that.
Education does not benefit any particular group - it benefits everybody, doesn’t it? (And the idea that taxes pay for public benefits is just an outdated understanding of the nature of money.)

1 Like

Absolutely.
We know of a vigneron in the Beaujolais who has beagles and who is regularly called upon to go after wild boar before the start f the hunting season because of the damage they are doing to the maize crop.

If they are complying with all the necessary regulations I do not see that there is a problem.
In small villages having children, whether or not they live in yurts, helps to keep the school open.

2 Likes

And the corn planted by hunters specifically to attract them, not counting the corn they scatter too.

Boars are breeding more because they are well fed, and are benefitting from easier winters too. Otherwise they would only have a small single litter every year, and not start breeding until o or 1 year.

Just returned from a walk where we passed through a lovely quiet village. Except for the house with 6 or 7 old cars out front, magically barking dogs (not hunting dogs), loud music, and people flying drones in the back. Give me wind chimes and the smell of weed any day!

3 Likes

Maize is grown for cattle feed here and with the disastrous hay harvests it is much needed.

Nice first post

1 Like

Been biding my time for something that irked me enough.

1 Like