American food standards

I thought Tim was being ironic/ tongue in cheek hence the winking smiley

1 Like

Guilty as charged m’lord, I was trying to be funny. Will not do it again, promise.:grin:

5 Likes

Been thinking about it and whilst I’d rather not have live creepy crawlies in my cereals or flour I can kind of see the difficulties of getting a harvest from field to store without a single dead bug getting into the finished product…and especially if the aim is to cut down on the use of glysophate etc…

When we were kids we’d go picking blackberries and strawberries and apart from a cursory once over from my mom and dad the fruit was straight from plant to mouth…at home blackberries were put into a bowl of saltwater and yes the odd critter would be floating on the top by next morning…

I bought some mange tout once and found a tiny maggot in one pea in one pod…it was tiny green and having spent its whole life in one pea it was more pea than maggot…I just chucked it…

So I can see the difficulties…I’m more bothered about the pesticides herbicides and organophosphates in the food supply…

Is gluten intolerance more likely glysophate intolerance…???

I’m non too sure either about insects as novel proteins…I’m sure cattle and fish and all sorts of animals and birds in a natural environment consume them on a daily basis anyway…

Are we heading for meat for the elite and a diet of insects for the poor amongst us…??? No longer a case of let them eat cake…more like let them eat bugs… x :smile:

1 Like

I would say that 99% of us don’t read or care what’s on the packaging , and what is so difficult about producers saying where it’s sourced from and what it does not contain ! , its got to be your basic marketing strategy. in other words its organic , no antibiotics , no additives ect, ect… its the consumers choice , the last thing a supermarket wants is to be accused of is selling you dangerous food , whatever the trade agreement says about what you cannot say , there is nothing to stop you labeling food pointing out what is not in it or where it is from.

This is useful:

1 Like

And this:

1 Like

It always reminds me of a friend who was deep frying some meatballs that he had bought in Holland. While they were frying he read the label which stated that they were 79% horse meat, he had to decide just how hungry he was.

Sadly Geof, most people as stated above, don’t really give a damn what they eat and also don’t really care that the fine print in the agreement will probably prevent the UK from applying its own previously established standards (without risking potentially legal penalties). Effectively this will hand the power to the US companies to decide what is good for us. I am sure most people won’t care about this but I do. At least the EU generally do as well and have refused these US biased agreements in the past.

Interestingly I came across something of a counter-view today.

Bearing in mind that EUReferendum.com is not unbiased the argument is that the FDA standards that have been referred to are ones beyond which prosecution is automatic but below which prosecution is still possible if producers cannot demonstrate that they are aiming to minimise contamination (agreed to be inevitable with natural products).

The situation in the EU appears to be that there are no hard limits as such.

http://eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=87019