Any experience with dentures?

I’ve got a very natty little temporary clip in tooth thanks to the final disintegration of an incisor next to the big ones (broken by an encounter with a lax stick and then the end of a swimming pool when I was 13 or 14, my dentist just repaired it then, it saying no point doing anything smart as it was bound to happen again), in a fortnight I’m getting a cantilever bridge (whatever that is), then in due course an implant, if I have enough bone. So far everything has been reimbursed completely.

You seem to have what I have - a replacement incisor. However my understanding from cantilever bridge is that the adjacent teeth are drilled down a bit and the bridge cemented on. If an implant was being considered in the future I for one wouldn’t want the adjacent teeth drilled down.

What I had was a ‘Maryland bridge’ - UK terminology - where the replacement is held in place by a flap or ‘wing’ glued to the adjacent tooth - so the adjacent tooth is kept whole. (in the UK).

They do eventually come off and I got mine glued on again by a France dentist who was very curious that there was only one wing - it seems in France there are two wings used.

I asked the UK dentist why only one wing and they said the reason was with two wings inevitably the bond of one with will break without being noticed and then bacteria will gather and decay the tooth. Two wings are more secure though! Shows how things are done differently…

I just thought I’d mention this, FYI.

Ah that’s it, it must be a Maryland bridge, it has a little wing glued onto the adjacent tooth apparently. I’m not up on what these things are called at all. It’s another very authoritative GB friend of mine who said it must be called a cantilever bridge in English.

I am hopefully about to start discussion about a prosthesis with (hopefully) my new dentist (thank you Dr.Mark). I don’t think a bridge is possible (but hey, what do I know) - and the 25k€ I was quoted by the orthodontist is to say the least ‘unattractive’, so a prosthesis attached to a plate on the palette sounds like a good move.

Great news, very glad to have been of help - he’s excellent, and as mentioned before -has perfect English, so everything should be clear. And eventually, you might even get a smile from his receptionist!

1 Like

Good morning, as advised, if it is due to gum disease, I don’t think it is a good idea to go abroad : if you have problems, you will find it nearly impossible to find a dentist to treat you here in France.
If you have a mutuelle, with the 100 % santé, dentures are totally free of charge.
Good luck with your dental treatment, Dominique

1 Like

Hello Having been following this thread. I would like to ask Shiba where the dentist is. After my Dentist retired with out letting me know,I am having a big problem finding one which can speak a bit of English as my French is not so good in this field of speaking. Also reading about having loose teeth and the problem that can cause with the heart concerns me as I have both of these problems so I need to get this sorted. Any help would be gratefully received.

Near Perpignan but he is fully booked and not taking on any new clients at the moment I am afraid as I rang this morning about a filling that is breaking and the earliest will be my already booked appt for end April although they have a list where cancellations can be given to people on that list if they are waiting. My dentist does not speak english by the way. You could ask your doctor about your worries or approach a hospital dept of dentistry near to you.

Thank you so much Shiba for getting back to me. Sadly you live a long way from me. So, it is back to the drawing board.
Thanks again
Elaine