Anyone know what Gironde's "Red Zone" means in practice?

My Airedale, Nelson, passed away aged 12 years a little while ago. He was a challenging dog… couldn’t let him off the lead as he was unpredictable with other dogs/ cats/ squirrels though perfect with humans, however, he was the most loyal, intelligent dog I’ve ever had the privilege of getting to know! Lots of people commented on his ( not my!) beauty when we were out and about.

1 Like

Agreed.
We were absolutely furious with our daughter in UK when she took an English Setter from France to re-home and then gave him back.
It was a beautiful dog, but their neighbours’ dogs barked, which set him off and our younger grandson, who has her wound round her little finger, said that he was scared and didn’t want to come home from school.
Now it is a little bit more difficult to get rid of your seven year old son, but I would have kept the dog.
My grandson told our daughter that he was frightened of me, I didn’t let him get away with things, which our other grandsons laughed at.
Of course, the dog had to go, but found a better home in the country with land to run and other dogs to play with.
Our daughter was brought up to treat animals with love and respect and that, of course, led to another row.
The daughter is difficult too!

2 Likes

Oh Jenny - they can be a challenge, but so tough to have to say goodbye. Vita’s 11 and I’m doing everything I can to support her through some challenging times - too early to go.
When we were in the UK, with our two, people were forever stopping us to say “my uncle / granddad/ parents had an Airedale, but you don’t see many about now

Airedales were used a lot in the first world War to take messages back from the front to the HQ behind the lines.
Very brave dogs.

1 Like

We too have an Airedale terrier (our 3rd). Although stubborn, Keith has so much personality- I don’t know how you could give one up! Lucky escape from the ex - I hope you got another Airedale.

Fraid not Gayle, current wife had a Cocker and a Chihuahua when I met her. We had to get rid of the Chihuahua as he was a right pain with the kids and the Cocker went suddenly after an illness, next dog was an untrainable working Springer who was nearly 14 when he died, had a few ‘dog free’ years until we bought a Cocker pup last year who’s the best dog I/we have ever had.

3 Likes

Isn’t thread drift wonderful!
Anyone remember the Airedale at Waterloo Station in the 50s? I think it had a collecting box on its back.
And then there were “toy” Airedales on wheels with a handle behind - to help toddlers learn to walk.

3 Likes

I had one of those! He was named Armstrong as it was the time of the moon landings. I absolutely loved him !

2 Likes