Anyone know what this plant is?

No, there is no obligation here in France to indicate the presence of la Nouée du Japon - there is a ton of the stuff on my way into work by the roadside near a village I pass through, spreading each year - the commune seem to be uninterested in tackling the problem. All I’ve ever seen done to it by the agent communal is the verge-side rotating hedge cutter treatment, which as we know, only serves to spread it even further ! Have to say, when in flower (as it is currently), it does look magnificent. Currently, the part I drive past is about 4m high and 8m long.

That reminds me that I’ve been seeing ads on my phone recently in online articles for an app that allegedly identifies any mushroom that you take a photo of, the aim being to reduce poisoning by ingestion of the wrong’uns.

Just be aware that the Mushroom App is actually under scrutiny… seems there is an element of possible error with dangerous repercussions…

1 Like

Especially magic ones😂

3 Likes

Nothing like a spot of psilocybin to while away the time :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Those were the days…:sunglasses:

2 Likes

They used to grow on a particular lot of playing fields at school, from time to time undergraduates from the town would be discovered picking them or possibly in an altered state post consumption.

One of our pals did a degree in some form of geological engineering which involved a lot of field trips :wink:

2 Likes

It is Pokeweed. Poisonous so avoid.

Yeah, that was my concern when I saw the ad pop up in my news feed…

1 Like

It is on the verges on the way to Cluny and the fauchage used to chop it and drive on its merry way.
They are attempting to treat it now, but it is a half-hearted attempt.

Does anyone know what this plant is please?
Spotted in an ‘Action’ car park 5 weeks ago.

Looks a bit like a polemonium variant to me, Nigel…

Edit: - How big is it?

Hi Angela, it was about 12-15" high, and not quite 24" wide.
I thought that is was some kind of conifer??!!

Ah - were the leaves bristly then?

(It’s very pretty!)

Jacob’s ladder aka polemonium?

The leaves certainly looked bristly, but I didn’t touch them.

What I found unusual were the pink/red leaves.

Been sprayed by glysophate?

Looks like the shrub, Sobaria Sorbifolia, I’ve recently planted. Pale yellow/green fern like leafs with pinkish tips.

Many thanks Debby, I think that you’ve identified it!

2 Likes