Anything I MUST provide for French guests?

Sue, don’t worry, we have treated french clients exactly the same as any others. Welcome them with a smile on your face and you’ll be fine.

3 Likes

Our gite is heated by our pompe a chaleur and the water is heated by solar panels, which is pretty ecological.
We have walkers and cyclists too, but I can’t say we have extreme sports.
I can’t say that we are overburdened with cafes and restaurants either.

I can imagine what it might have been…but no causal link :pleading_face:

1 Like

Our marketing budget is under 100€/year. No AirBnB, Booking .com or any big platform but we still manage to fill up and I think, like you, that it is the previous visitor comments that make the difference. They are essential! If you want to attract more French it could be an idea to translate some of your guest comments if your platform doesn’t do that already…

1 Like

It does Jane - one of the (few) advantages of Vrbo (Homeaway as was). They brought me Dutch and German guests last year and French this, with no effort on my part thank goodness!

1 Like

We have a coffee machine and we provide the ethically sourced coffee too and tea bags.

1 Like

We used to run a guesthouse in Scotland - plenty of international guests.
Flannels in the bathroom were a ‘must have item’, but also a bigger bar of soap which we provided for guests staying more than 3 nights. Bath salts - for the jacuzzi. Not oil as that clogs up the pipework. If you have showers only - how about a very luxurious shower gel/body lotion.

Knife sharpener - the few times we booked a self catering holiday we found very dull knives… bane of any cooks life.
Plastic ice cubes - pre frozen. They are very easy to clean between guests - basket in the dishwasher.

1 Like

Knives! I have never found a knife sharpener in a UK run gîte…and only rarely in one’s of other nationalities. (Sue is now going to prove me wrong!). We have one in ours, but take one with us when we travel as I have a cute Opinel sharpener that is tiny but does the job.

2 Likes

I’m shocked this is your first french family staying, we have mostly french guests with some Dutch, Belgian, German or Swiss. I wouldn’t worry because French guests often bring their own things if they want them, traditionally french gites not providing essentials or even bedding. I often get asked if bedding is provided or what is provided. We have found french guests leave the place very clean. Hope that’s your experience. Good luck. Ps you could always message them.

1 Like

They won’t expect beverages to be provided, bottle of water in the fridge, wine if you do weekly stays, I wouldn’t overthink it. I’m sure they will be very pleased.

3 Likes

Well pointed out, we never expect anything (consumables) where we go, take what we need/want with us. But perhaps I’ve always stayed in cheap gîtes ! :rofl:

1 Like

There’s one in mine and decent knives and kitchen equipment too!

3 Likes

It’s not whether they expect it or not Catherine, they are always delighted and it makes a very good first impression.

1 Like

My target market is the UK. I only take 5-6 bookings a year and always leave a week between guests. In recent years most of these have been returners - so no spaces in the calendar for the French to book as my returners often book for next year before they leave.

As I’ve explained elsewhere, I’ve always aimed to go above and beyond and wouldn’t dream of expecting my guests to bring anything - in fact one of my reviews mentions this, the family brought stuff and then went round my cottage saying " Oh they’ve provided that, they’ve provided that, they’ve provided that".
And yes I do have a knife sharpener, but that (I admit) was only after one of our guests went out and bought me a sharp knife!

1 Like

The OP is having her first French guests and asked what they would expect. That’s not the same as what they would really like to see to go that extra mile. As you know Brits don’t tend to holiday in my area.

Yes you are just north of us…Brits are far and few between! One set in six years.

We have the option of bedding as some of our families like to minimise their costs by bringing their own, and in these Covid times we have had more people wanting this. Especially those who are not travelling far (we often have guests from Dijon, Geneva and Lyon which are hardly far from us!)

A bottle of water not from the faucet but bought. Replace it as need be …

Absolutely not!

For a laugh, you should check out what Gite de France thinks are the essential kitchen items!

1 Like

Have they changed it since 1982…?

1 Like