Anything I MUST provide for French guests?

Not if alcohol is against their religion they can’t…
If you have guests from NL in particular there is a significant chance they may be Muslim.
You have to be a bit careful in these PC days.

Sue… I wouldn’t take it as a reproach… they are just saying a big thankyou,…

Whenever I’ve thanked someone enthusiastically…
the reply I always get is “c’est normal” :wink: :rofl:

1 Like

We dumped pretty much all of our UK marketing a few years ago and have only had french or belgian guests. Much preferable to British, and have come to expect the unexpected number of people turning up. I tell them that it’s up to them - after all it’s the same price for 2 as for 6 people, not worth stressing over.

Bringing unexpected dogs/pets is another matter. Had some parisiens last year come with their unannounced precious little dog, and on finding we had a dog too weren’t happy(and they rarely clean the dog shit up) :poop:

In fact I first came across the need to be careful what I offered with a non-conformist lay preacher. I google my guests and where they live beforehand - just to make sure all is well - and that’s when I found his background. So I offered the usual wine / beer / juices and they (a middle aged couple) accepted the juices.

That wasn’t what they were doing! Even yesterday, when I checked with them whether there was anything I could have done differently, they continued to say I’d done too much, with a certain grumpiness around it all.

Oh yes it is! Totally different scenario re amount of linen / towels used / electricity used / general care of the place.
With 2-4 guests I pretty much know who’s in charge and any issues, I can talk to them. By the time there’s 6 (or more) there are probably two different families and there is a whole other dynamic re taking ownership for keeping the place clean, not breaking things, and generally taking care.

Interesting. But then our UK guests largely have become returners and so the place has become home from home. They, and I, know what to expect of each other and the surroundings and I can stop fretting and just enjoy their company.

1 Like

?? Where is NL?

We provide local cheese (can’t then complain about cow bells) but always check they are not vegan. Much better to ask people these days…

Does your insurance company agree? We are registered at the Marie for 6 people, and I imagine our insurance might quibble if we made a claim and there were more people present. We dislike more anyway as extra wear and tear, everything is set up for max of 6, and our pricing is based on max of 6 for water usage, heating of water etc. More people eats into our modest profit.

2 Likes

Frankly, if someone is not prepared to explain what they mean… I’d just forget 'em.

Perhaps they thought you might expect a “tip” if they enthused… :rofl:

We can discuss this , back and forth… trying to figure them out… but, in the long run, it’s not worth it and wastes our mental batteries.

You just carry on offering a delightful gîte and smiling broadly… kill 'em with kindness !

1 Like

The Netherlands I imagine.

I have up to 20 people in my house over the summer, as they aren’t paying guests but just guests my constraints aren’t the same, they will eg take the bins out, do mowing, cook a bit - BUT I still get through vast amounts of flannels towels peignoirs sheets & pillowcases. And food!!

If they take offence because you have given something, how rude. They aren’t being forced to drink it.

1 Like

How do you react when they turn up with dogs if not allowed, or extra people? I would be very upset if things had been clear. How to handle it if that happens?

In the early days of living here I said I would “never run a gite”. Then I realised I WAS running a gite for friends, for FREE! Suddenly, the thought of earning several hundred pounds a week for doing what I was already doing sounded terribly attractive - especially after the pound crashed. And gite guests don’t come wandering in say “what are we going to do today?” :grin:

2 Likes

Brilliant Stella! Just what was needed this morning as they were leaving and said, yet again, we’d done too much! :grin: :grin:

It does matter that the owner knows how many people are going to be staying. Our biggest rental charges extra for groups over 8 and dogs so will be losing out financially if the correct numbers aren’t know when accepting payment for the booking, plus of course there is the matter of the ‘taxe de sejour’.

It is one of the least pleasant aspects of running a gîte. It really depends on the situation, and if/how the people broach the subject.

A family a couple of weeks ago phoned in the morning of their arrival to say they were bringing a 7th person (long story) which would take us over our limit. Sine we knew they were coming for a cousinade, and we know a member of their family locally we agreed with a supplement of 30€. Right call as they have already booked again for next year with the promise that they will be 6.

People who don’t warn us get told there is a hotel down the road (for any people over our limit of 6).

2 Likes

Worth knowing for the future :wink:

2 Likes

New word for me. :slight_smile: Thanks Jane. Fortunately I’ve only ever been asked in advance about extra guests, never had them turn up on the doorstep.

1 Like

We only had an undeclared dog once in our small B&B. We didn’t allow dogs because of our own ‘found’ dog who usually took an instant dislike to other male dogs he came across. The dog that arrived was small, very quiet, no trouble at all, and female. So we let them stay, for one or two nights I think, and all was well.

Our gites sleep 6, but the less the better

1 Like

A contract. Which states what you are providing. And they agree to it. Nothing complicated.

1 Like

We all have that!

The issue is that people pay no attention to the details. Do you have a gîte? As if you haven’t experienced someone turning up early afternoon on a Saturday hours before contract check in time, with dog, cat, pet hamster, extra people, no sheets (when didn’t book them), etc then you are unusual I would think.

And can’t really call out a contract lawyer on the spot.

1 Like