Are we relying too much on Apps?

I’m very happy to have everything ‘handraulically’ operated, whether that’s lights, heating or car, despite being extremely comfy with tech. There’s a pleasure from compartmentalising certain areas so that they don’t intrude or cross over into other areas. Having a smartphone with always-on data connection can require considerable discipline at times of boredom when one should be working at something tedious.

1 Like
1 Like

Very handy are the smart radiator valves, because no one is likely to manually turn down or off in rooms that are not in use or used at certain times whereas the app allows this at the touch of a button together with time planning, i.e. bedroom half an hour before bed but off or low at other times.

The Gardian has been a bit funny lately, critical of EV’s and now tech. Yes just like anything new the initial novelty can be jarring for those on the sidelines but after the honeymoon period things settle down and savings can mount up.

At last, A Guardian article that is readable, and enjoyable, from start to finish. This journalist has hit the nail on the head. I burst out laughing when Alexa informed the child of all the Christmas presents they were to receive :rofl::rofl:

I think most environmentalists see electric cars (as opposed to buses, trains, ferries, etc) as the least worst option if you have to have powered personal transport (this is my view, given where I currently live - but our next house move will be with a view to not having a car at all).

EVs are only a small part of the sustainability picture: reducing the total number of cars (and the implied changes to ‘western’ lifestyles, transport systems, etc) is more to the point. Is this how The Guardian was critical of EVs?

Yes, we could have maybe some local shops maybe in a row, we could call it a High Street, that wont pander to the lazy copycat out of town business parks that now make a town indistinguishable from another.

Yes have to think a few years ahead for location as the planning departments of local councils failed to do with an aging population. You cannot un invent personal transport but you can modify it to suit. Car clubs etc mean no ownership but practicle use when required.
There is also the EV vehicle to grid tech which forward thinking manufacturers are designing into the vehicles which assists the grid at times of high demand and allows for renewable tech to grow.

I use TRVs in bedrooms, otherwise don’t see a need for regular adjustment of valves in a home setting. At work it would be useful to have controlled valves because people will adjust TRVs etc, but that’s a little different.

Being able to switch them off rather than leaving an empty room at a normal occupied temp when not occupied.
I just remembered when doing the laundry this morning, I also have a smart device in the tumble dryer that alerts me when the humidity shows the clothes are dry rather than just when a timer switches off.