Are you in a Medical Desert?

Have you looked on Maiia, @digitracker? That’s where all our local GPs are registered…

I will take a look at maiia, thanks for that, I dont rate doctolib at all :face_with_thermometer: :face_with_thermometer:

Indeed. The only shortages we have come across is physio. The OH had to search a while for a decent physio before her knee op. We found one eventually through a neighbour.

Me neither! Given where I think you are, there is another one of these private directories with a selection of medics in that begins with a K but I’m blowed if I can remember what it is just at the moment.

In my experience so far, talking to people is the best way forward - especially if they can put in a word for you…

It’s KelDoc.
Doctolib seems to be used a lot in the south of France, and doesn’t have great coverage further north.

I agree completely @hairbear . Around us it’s mainly Maiia - certainly for GPs. (I tried Keldoc and got their search page but it seemed not to work - for me at least)

I was also wondering, @digitracker , whether you’d tried the Ameli-related annuaire…

Maiia was the one at our last cabinet, but useless, as only 2 doctors and both said that they don’t do online bookings. :roll_eyes: That’s why we moved to our present cabinet, got fed up with driving 30 kms just to get a rdv.

BTW are you sure Keldoc isn’t a misprint and should be 'K’elldoc? Sorry in a bit of a medical roundabout myself at the moment. :neutral_face:

Try the conciliateur (post 5 above) which could at least get you a doctor prepared to do telemedicine.

I realise that’s important for you because of the language stuff. I’m gradually getting better at making appointments on the phone but I know that isn’t possible for everyone…

It wasn’t that @AngelaR , but what was the point of having an online service if 100% of the doctors wouldn’t use it? In any case I did make phone calls to them, but the phone simply wasn’t answered by a human, but by a machine which after 2 urgings to hold on then advised trying again later before cutting off.

Have you still not got a carte vitale?

Yes, both of us have.

I live in Charente Maritime near Saintes, and my doctor is always available between set hours 6 days a week, no appointment is needed, and I go and sit in the waiting room when I need to see him.

It’s been like that at the same surgery, 15 minutes away from home, for the last 25 years or so, and during that time I have had just two doctors, one who retired about 4 years ago, and the current doctor who replaced him immediately.

I have to count myself lucky I suppose.

4 Likes

Extremely.

This map shows Désert Médical (Red) and Accés Difficile (Pink)… as at November 2022.

Where it’s white is Accés OK… (hopefully)

We had that for 20 odd years at our old surgery with a Belgian doctor, the no rdv visits were all weekday afternoons apart from Thursday and rdvs for all the rest of the time. Sadly, he retired and the new regime, rdvs only, took over without any notification. We were graciously allowed treatment the first time we went without one. :roll_eyes:

We are in 37 and our doctor is about 15km away. She is fairly new and not part of a multi-doctor surgery but she has proved to be very good so far and easy to get appointments. Her list is closed now, we must have caught her at an opportune moment back in September. She also speaks good English which is a great help whilst we are working on improving our Francais.

1 Like

The Amélie one was what I tried, and no luck so far…

My old GP was just like that, but then retired, and no replacement…