Aren't motorcycles amazing

Ummm, no… as mentioned I have ABS. :smiley: :smiley:

The problem was a triffid-like climbing plant that the neighbours planted by the fence and then allowed to grow up over and through without proper pruning. Eventually they removed it but by that time the fence was a shadow of its former self…

1 Like

Ooh, if we’re sharing pictures

2 Likes

I’m a life long lover of riding, however totally different world! The farm I grew up on in Oz had a 1km drive so at 8 I rode my little Honda 70 trike up to the bus and park it behind some logs for the day! I was rushing home one afternoon (was the school play that night) when I rolled it in a sandy bit! Got home in my little cotton dress school uniform when my step-dad said ‘why have you painted your legs red?’ I burst into tears and replied, ‘it’s blood!’. I then got a Suzuki 125 for my 12th birthday, we used them for fun but also mustering the sheep and cattle and other farm work. Often with one of our lovelie kelpirs / sheep dogs on the back. We also had a 4 wheeler and drove our other bikes, up to a 250. Wonderful memories :heart_eyes: :australia: . Ive never ridden on the road (other than between padfocks). Currently quite enjoying The Motorbike Show. DH has 3 bikes in one of the barns ready to renovate, he assures me they’ll be worth something at some point :rofl:

2 Likes

FB_IMG_1700512264342

Though I guess it doesn’t apply to @ChrisMann

6 Likes

Despite my father having been Captain o/c The Royal Signals White Helmets M/cyle Display Team, my mother, Sister i/c #1 Operating Theatre, Queen Alexander’s Military Hospital, Singapore and other A & E appointments, refused to allow me to have a m/cycle.

I saw a doc on TV back-along where a Dr. walked down a store room with shelves on either wall and double shelves down the middle, with rows and rows of m/c helmets. Dozens of them.

“Every one a fatality” she said. :slightly_frowning_face:

One of my pals in London was AWOL for a while. Next time I saw him “Where’ve you been hiding?”

"Had to get the car fixed. Last time I came to your place I pulled out of Avonmore Gdns into Hammersmith Rd straight in front of a bloke on a m/cyle. He flew clear over the car and landed in the road the other side… "

Yes it can do - the Honda DCT system can be switched to full manual if required. :smiley:

Technically though it would be six (front flappy paddle) up and six (back flappy paddle) down…

Is that a euphemism for something? :smiley:

2 Likes

Very nice Bee-Em! Bit zippier than my humble Honda I would imagine!

Yes. I had one of these back in the early 80s. I’ve ridden bigger machines but being similar in stature to @JohnH I never felt safe when static. The CB400F was small for it’s class, which suited me very well.

Photo c/o Motor Cycle News.

1 Like

The 400/4 was always a lovely bike.

I’m starting to think that it might be time to downsize as I am finding the height and weight a bit daunting when I’m getting tired. A big part of it is that I’m not riding enough so, each time, I need to get used to it all over again.

I had one of those! I had a Honda 70 first and then a Yamaha 250.

1 Like

A pal of mine had one as well, in 1975 I think. He was a mechanic in Comerford’s in Thames Ditton and always had nice bikes, but the 400 four impressed me most. An excellent balance of power and chuckability.

Two stroke? The banshee howl of a Yamaha (or Suzuki or Kwaker) twin at full chat was music to my ears :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Interesting the 400/4 love. I think they were probably good in the mid-late 70s, but I had one in the early 90s after a GL400 ‘silver wing’ based on the CX500, and the 400/4 was a lot of work for little reward (to put it politely).

I was very disappointed because I had the choice between that or a Suzuki GT380, and chose the Honda. That was one I was VERY happy to sell on.

I think for a lot of people it was their first “big bike” after passing their test but, yes, by the 90s they were very much old hat with any surviving examples probably thrashed to death.

1 Like

Oooo, yes please. I went off two strokes after my FS1E days, but I would have made an exception for a GT380.

Age is an odd thing. Nowadays I can’t bear the noise & just look pityingly at spotty youths thrashing about on their baffle-removed mopeds/scooters, but in 1976 it was all I wanted to do (well, almost all).

1 Like

A mate bought a 380 - registration XGT 380 S - as his first >250 after passing his test. It wasn’t a ball of fire (and he wasn’t that kind of rider) but it kept up with us on our hot 250s quite adequately. I also got a pillion ride for several hours when my bike broke down a long way from home, and it was comfy and sensible.

I’ve always had a soft spot for 2 stroke triples, and had a Kawasaki S1B, then later a Suzuki GT550 which was a great bike except when you gently fed it into a mid-speed bend about 65-70mph and the bouncing started. It was nicked from outside our house. :frowning:

The Honda 400/4 was the only 4 cylinder bike I ever owned, having almost always had twins with the odd single and triple.

A friend of mine’s very chic grandfather had a gold wing and I loved going to play at her house because we always went on the bike.

1 Like

The Honda 400/4 was a lovely bike by all accounts. One of my brother’s friends had one and called it a ‘coffee grinder’. The GT380 on the other hand had a reputation as a tank slapper waiting to happen. The only one in our bike park at school had a steering damper attached.
My last bike, sold in 1985 before a spell in Canada, was a Kawasaki Z650 B3. Added front disk, but wire spoked wheels. First changes to all the bikes among friends was to change the headlamp for a Cibié, then I’d cut down the seat and replace the handlebars with clip-ons, for a lower centre of gravity and better (race style) cornering.

1 Like

Like the Kwaker 500. I think they just had so much power they pulled the swinging arm out of alignment, and then when it “sprung” back :face_with_peeking_eye: