Automatic Visa for second home owners - 20 December 2023 news

As an engineer, I want to know who spec’d the glass so large to begin with :joy:

Spain is looking to do something similar after tourism figures have dropped off.

2 Likes

As long as they let me come and retire in France in a few years’ time I don’t care what method they use! :slight_smile:

My fear is a big hike in the income requirement for non-EU retirees, like the Greeks have imposed.

2 Likes

And the Spanish, so I am told.
Keep being greedy for money its the only language the world understands now.

1 Like

It’s already higher than it was - officially €1,383/month for an individual or almost €2,800 for a couple (though I hear less than that is accepted in practice especially if property is owned free of mortgage).

How is requiring a minimum income a case of “being greedy”?

Governments want to attract the money people. The French seem much fairer.

From 1/1/24…

Yes I will be able to cope with that level - but the Greeks wanting a minimum of €30,000 a year for a single person (€2500 a month) is way out of my price range - and crazy considering that the average salary in Greece is around €17,000 a year…

For a while I had been considering retirement in Crete which is an island I am very fond of, but France wins not just on the financial requirements but on other metrics like healthcare. Property in Crete is surprisingly expensive as well nowadays.

1 Like

It’s in the Times as well

1 Like

This is just equalisation with the French coming to the UK. This is égalité

1 Like

Yes but a slight deviation from the discussion, I find that egalite, despite being part of the National motto does not really exist in France, which is why all the French aides that come to our house insist on addressing me as Monsieur despite encourageing me to use all their given names. They do refer to my wife by her first name though, presumably because, being ill, she is less deserving of the respect they insist is the reason for my elevation. Only The English and Scottish aides address me as David.

1 Like

Rubbish I’m afraid. Try getting permanent residence in the UK now for anything over 6 months - the requirements have got much stricter.

The idea of British citizens being allowed to swan across the border whenever they want on the basis of an EDF bill is laughable. And if arriving for a long stay it would mean swapping tax residency and having expensive private health insurance (or making France your competent state and joining PUMA). There are existing not very onerous arrangements for multiple entry visas, so I don’t see any priority being given to this.

2 Likes

Egalité is not the same as daily customs.

But no one is forcing people to spend the money in the host nation, just to have it available.

Yes, so how do you get to that position, you persue money. If you havent enough you persue it some more.

1 Like

Tories have just put the price of falling in love with a foreigner up to £36K ish…

You can fall in love for nothing.

Just don’t try to live together in the UK.

Unless people have 3 jobs, how will we staff the NHS etc?

Another U turn just announced, now £29k

Jane, I’m outa here. This is not a mature platform for intelligent debate.