Avoiding villages full of residences secondaires

I agree, we had a month househunting in March 5.5 years ago - everything was pretty grim, it was cold and only the last week did spring seem to arrive. Was great seeing everything in the wet / grey :rofl:

1 Like

It was minus 10 when we first saw our house!

1 Like

Hello everyone,
I’m in the very early stages of looking for a house to buy in or on the outskirts of a village in Brittany. I live in the US so cannot plan a visit at the moment so am trying to research as much as I can online. I read the comments to this topic with great interest, and now I’d like to ask if any of you would be willing to share the names of the villages or towns you decided to buy in. Thank you in advance!
Lynn

Under the T&Cs, you need to amend your registration to show your first name and last name.
@cat

1 Like

Hi Lynn and welcome to SF but as has been mentioned, please amend your details to show your full real name - cheers. :slight_smile:

Sorry, it took me a while to figure out how! I think I have now, or hope so. Thanks!

2 Likes

Welcome, Lynn.

I’m no help because I’m interested in Pays-de-la-Loire. But there is a great deal you can do to research online, from Google Street View to the INSEE site; the website of the Mairie (which will probably tell you what the commune’s facilities are); Wikipedia entries 

Lynn, I envy you. On cold winter Sundays I often look at notaire/immobilier websites, even though I’m just an armchair home buyer. With me it never goes any further than a search through some of their websites in the areas we really like.

Stevie’s answer is very helpful. I would add that not long ago on Survive France somebody mentioned etalab for recent property sales. A really lovely manor house way out of my price range is for sale, and I keep checking etalab to see if it has been sold and for how much.

As a traveler, I often use the French yellow pages, and I think this website would come in handy to give you some idea of the vitality of any town you’re looking at.

Once you’ve asked it to search for a boulangerie, cinema, fromagerie, or whatever, it will return results. I use the number of boulangeries to gauge how busy the town is. You can then ask to see them on a map of the town. Other things like La Poste, parks, gardens will also show up on the map.

Sign up with the local tourist office to get their weekly or monthly update of what’s going on.

Any chance you could pop over to France next weekend? Well, now that I see you are in the US, you can’t. Same with us, and we are really missing France.

The heritage weekend (Journees du Patrimoine) is 9/19 and 9/20. It’s always one of the highlights of a trip for us. It’s an opportunity to get a close look at places usually closed to the public. We’ve been visiting the same area on this weekend since 2007 and even in 2019 we were still finding new places to visit.

I hope you’ll share with us as you go through your search. Some of us armchair shoppers would love to look over your shoulder.

1 Like

Even villages and towns that don’t have many second homes doesn’t mean that they have anything going on in theme that’s especially with the towns and villages In the commuter belt around the big city’s people just sleep in them and the live and work in the city

I’ve heard a number of the heritage weekends have been cancelled this year, for reasons which won’t surprise us :frowning:

Round us they are making a big effort to have things open - even if it means reducing numbers and requiring reservations. But then things here are very small. I’ve done a few in Paris in previous years, and that is more complicated. The queue for the ÉlysĂ©e was huge, several hours I recall but the prime minister of the day (Villepin) went up and down the queue shaking people’s hand. How things change. This year the reservations are already full
but they will be putting up a virtual tour on their website that weekend.

Yes, I heard on Fr Info this morning that a number of places are doing virtual tours - “numĂ©rique”

Thanks so much, everyone, especially Stevie and Carolyn, for taking the time to reply and offer such useful ideas and pointers. (I’d not considered the Pays-de-la-Loire area but got swept up in google searches there yesterday–gorgeous!) Having input from others is so useful and helps a transition not feel overwhelmingly daunting but instead fun and a little less daunting! I look forward to reading more of what you and others on this site are saying about how you’re surviving–and thriving!–in France. Hope you all stay well. Lynn

2 Likes

I suppose you could use ‘numĂ©rique’ in this context, as the information has been digitised. But it feels more comfortable French to me to say ‘une visite virtuelle’.

1 Like

I’d have said so, too, but “numĂ©rique” is the term they were using on the radio