B-reg Ford C-Max 1600 CDi repairs

I’ve never looked in a spent ink tank Mike but given how expensive and profitable they are I doubt that Epson or HP actually bother to leave them half empty as well.
When my much loved little Autobianchi A112 brake warning light came on there was never much life left in the pads. Obviously it depends on how deeply the electrode is buried in the friction material. I’d prefer to change pads a little early than have one grind against a disk.
I still think uneven pad wear (apart from the normal slight difference one would expect) is a sign of a problem.

I rebuilt bike and car engines and replaced the odd synchromesh ring since I was a kid, I was the go to guy for family and friends car maintenance until work got too busy and the old career took over. I was never any good at bodywork though.
If I could motivate my self I’d still love to build a fast A series engine from scratch and put it into a Mini or a Midget, I prefer driving Minis but the engine compartment is very tight. I had a rally prepared 1293 Mini which was deteriorating through lack of use that I sold a few years ago which I still miss.
Or maybe build an Abarth style motor into a 600 or even back to a tuned 903 or 1050 for a A112. The problem for me would be the cost of getting the bodywork sorted on the donor car not the mechanicals. It’d make a great winter project. Though crouching down to work on suspension, brakes etc. is a bit more painful these days :frowning:

1 Like

I think I may have misremembered and got it the wrong way round -
“Inboard brake pad wear is the most common brake pad wear pattern. On a floating caliper brake system, it is normal for the inner to wear faster than the outer – but this difference should only be 2-3mm.”
This happens, I think, because the inboard pad makes contact fractionally before the outboard one.
But there are many factors that affect pad wear and it would require engineering of impossible precision to ensure that all the pads would wear out at exactly the same rate.

A lot of people have an understanding of how the body works but you wouldn’t let them do a heart bypass

3 Likes

Absolutely, I agree with that Mike but that wouldn’t be “uneven wear” in my book. Just normal variation. If one pad has worn down significantly more them the others I’d investigate further, even if only with my index fingernail :slight_smile:

Hardly the same thing. You have also misquoted me. I wrote what I wrote for a reason.

1 Like

I do sometimes struggle with my sense of humour round here

3 Likes

if you put lots of “smiles”… it might give them a clue… :roll_eyes: :wink: :wink: :relaxed: :relaxed: :relaxed:

1 Like

Could be something to do with not understanding the usefulness of emojis. We can’t guess tone of voice or facial expression. :grin: :sob: :laughing:

Having said that Mike, you do get to know people over time - their subtleties and the like…

1 Like

A doctor went to a garage to have some work done on his car. He asked if he could observe the mechanic at work as he felt his job was quite similar. What’s that then? asked the mechanic. I’m a heart surgeon was the reply.
The doctor watched as the mechanic removed, overhauled and replaced the car’s fuel injection system, skilfully. When it came to settling up the doctor praised the mechanic’s ability and the mechanic joked saying that as they shared similar skills perhaps they should enjoy the same financial rewards. True, replied the doctor but could you have done it while the engine continued running?

8 Likes

I recall one bright spark replying to something innocuous which I had posted…

they said something along the lines of … …

I’ve read and reread your words using different voices/different emphasis and you are being rude/aggressive (or whatever)…

Thus I try to ensure that what I write does not cause offence… no matter what the Reader may do… whichever voice/emphasis/language/weatherforecast/whatever they choose to use in their judgement of my words …

it’s a rum world… and if only folk would assume the best instead of the worst… :wink: :roll_eyes: :crazy_face: things might be easier…

2 Likes

I always expect the best from you stella :wink:

1 Like

An old joke :slight_smile:

But no longer entirely true - cardiac procedures have been carried out with the heart stopped and its function taken over by an external pump for many years. Modern techniques even involve cooling the patient to around 4°C and operating on them while technically dead.

As an aside there is an adage in the medical world - “you are not dead until you are warm and dead”, profound cooling slows metabolic processes and will protect even the brain from hypoxia - there are cases of successful resuscitation after some hours in icy water for example - but the safe limit in surgery is taken to be about 40 minutes.

How to kill a good joke.

1 Like

We might have to agree to differ as to the quality of the joke :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t think that would be a problem. You obviously didn’t see it as being humour anyway.

2 Likes