B****y Taxe Foncière

that's not the problem here, from memory, Sarah has no problems with French and offers the same hand-holding services as John. Sarah, I feel for you and have had to pay taxe foncière on ruins before, got the examption attestations for taxe d'habitation no problem but just had to pay up for the foncière. You could try getting the impôts to talk to taxe foncière but I guess you've already tried that one :-(

Courage ;-)

Shaun, I would be interested in Johns number as he sounds the right person to help me with a dispute with EDF about a wrongly located electricity meter. EDF owe me big time but ignore me. Thx Art

Sarah, have a look at Useful Links/Finance, the section on local taxes.There are links there to sites that explain the TF, including the requirements to qualify for a rebate.

Can only say that in France the TF is due whatever the state of the building as opposed to the Taxe d'Habitation. Unless you are totally proficient in French and the rules, you have no chance and you need to pay for professional assistance.

Go to the tax office and try talking to them. Unfortunately it's almost impossible to get out of paying "taxe foncière". We tried when the house was basically inhabitable and the rook was caving in on us. To no avail….

Try the consumer organisations, Sarah -- Useful Links/Consumer Affairs -- they may be able to help.

However, it is a fact that when you're contesting any payment demanded by the French administration, starting with traffic fines, you have first to pay and then contest. It's iniquitous but that's just the way it is and you're far from the first to complain about it. Starting with the farmers who have been fined for speeding at 160 kph in their tractor on the motorway because someone copied their number plate and the administration is incapable of checking that the plate is actually registered to the vehicle that has been flashed before issuing the fine.

Have a look at the UL/Get Help page too. There may be an organisation listed that can advise you.