Bank Charges...Thank you everybody

What gets me is that they accept them without your showing a card with your signature on it that guarantees payment, as we used to have.
Cancelling a cheque is exorbitantly expensive, and if you lose your cheque book they expect you to cancel every single unused cheque. Work out how much that costs!
This is used as a reason to sell you an expensive insurance.
I don’t understand this, as surely you can’t be made liable for a cheque you didn’t personally sign?
Don’t they compare the signature?

Hi Tracy. With family in Chile, the US, Denmark, UK and friends in NZ and Australia the TW account and debit card has been well used and tried out on our travels the last four years, and on a daily basis. Its the best thing we have joined, and it has saved us money. We have had absolutely no problems. The only costly thing is when you withdraw money. Prepare in advance your different currencies and off you go.

If you use the account as only to transfer money between accounts, I cannot see why.
You don’t accumulate any interest anyway. The system does not work like a normal bank. Check out their video.

The french tax laws are clear that you must tell them about any bank, saving or other financial account you hold that is outside France. Doesn’t matter if it earns money, or indeed if there is any money in it!
The fine is 1,500€ per account per year it is not declared!

It’s not a big deal to declare as just have to fill in a form, but between us we already have quite a lot.

1 Like

and the linked article -

deleted

A lot of people have to use cheques in France because their bank has a low limit on their debit card use each month.

1 Like

That’s interesting Euro50 as my nearest Lidl made a new policy earlier this year of refusing cheques, and they told me other Lidls are doing this.

I can well understand the reasons for doing so. But consumer banking facilities in France seem very poor in what else they are prepared to provide.

I suspect that this might seem so to an “outsider”… who might well be comparing with other countries…
yet might not seem so to folk who have grown up with these banks and their facilities

Perhaps Stella, but objectively the offering seems poor, overly restricted, complicated, expensive and limited.

A campaign to help those more disadvantaged in France whose life is made difficult by some of these problems with the financial services available.
IMPR_synthese_200922-BD.pdf.pdf (1.2 MB)