Bank security code generator

I didn’t need a new one - at the time I thought I had no option but to use the app. There’s a password needed on the smartphone app as well, and with the small keyboard on the smartphone, it’s easy to make mistakes.

You can still use yours which is useful to know, but I suspect that now I have used the app a few times I can’t go back. But I’ll give the old method a try next time…

Yes I know that because I have been using it with my non-smartphone for years. My question arose because someone used the dreaded ‘app’ word, which I very much doubt can be used on my phone.

@AngelaR

There are always alternatives @David_Spardo :smiley: (And I can tell you which banks use which if you are interested!)

Thank you but are you talking about UK banks? If so almost impossible to get a new account with them I think. If you are talking about French banks I am perfectly happy with Banque Postale, unless they start with this app business which, as I think they are the best and don’t want to change I would just have to knuckle down and buy a smart phone if forced. But I really don’t want to, I like my little Doro with its fits in a shirt pocket size, flip top so buttons can’t be pressed by accident, loud deaf old coote speaker and extra large buttons to avoid constant miscueing, features. :joy:

And it is bang up to date with Bluetooth which enables me to hear even French speakers with my handy little earpiece. In the car, where that is illegal, it happily plays through the radio. :smiley:

I have two UK bank accounts @David_Spardo and no smartphone and no problems. I know opening a new one is tricky but luckily I haven’t had to do that.

As far as I know, no other high street type French bank forces you down the app route, so I doubt if Banque Postale will.

Yes but we are looking into the future here, now only matters, well, now,
Did you open either of your UK accounts after Brexit or before?

Have been racking my brain and remember that there came a time when I attempted to open my bank account and couldn’t. There was nothing on HSBC’s website that invited me to use the old code generator. I tried and tried, but nothing worked. I was completely flummoxed by this and thought I had no option but to download their app.

I had them from before Brexit. There was a bit of a kerfuffle afterwards when I wanted to change my address on the site to my French one but they said they could do that for existing accounts. Do I take it you haven’t got a UK account at the moment?

That is the point, existing accounts only. We do have a couple of accounts with Yorkshire (VM) and guard them jealously, not giving any hint of misbehaviour, knowing full well that we couldn’t get another one.
All our English pensions are paid into them so that I can pick and choose when to transfer sums to France.

Just thinking about that point, having just signed up for transfers using TorFX, if the worst came to the worst I could possibly have the pensions paid to them for later transfer at will. :thinking:

1 Like

I can’t imagine you misbehaving David! :smiley:

Oh I can imagine it alright, imaginings don’t disappear with age, you know. :innocent:
Especially as I am, and set to be even more so shortly, surrounded by some very delectable female 60 somethings. :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:
If I keep doing that it will be alright. :roll_eyes:

No, you can’t.

I saw a whole load of those in a box at the déchetterie last time I was there.