Bank transfer from Uk to my French bank account

Not aware of that. I think on one occasion, to test a new IBAN I sent £11.
I certainly send £100 from time to time - maybe you could do £100 every two months? I can’t believe you are earning anything on that money having it sit in an account in the UK. :grin:

Well I’ve just done a transfer with transferwise let’s see how I get on when it reaches my French bank account :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I will let you know tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

I’ve just sent £50 with transferwise to my French account we will see what happens when it reaches my account :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Thanks for your help

1 Like

Just checked with OH. He uses Currency Fair and moved money the first week in January. We are with CA in Aquitaine. No additional charge on his a/c.

be interesting to make a comparison.
Just now (midi 13/1/21) 56.10€ @ 1.1222 £/€

Graham - just for a comparison I checked Transferwise at 12:06 and they’re quoting 1,12265, but with a £0,43 transfer fee for £50.

The rate’s a bit fluid at the moment @_Brian up and down like a tarts’ drawers :grin:

Yes that’s what I got, just been interesting to see if Credit Agricole charge me…we will see! If they do I will be closing my bank account.

I transferred £300 yesterday to Credit Agricole using Transferwise - headline bank rate, very small commission for Transferwise and the amount arrived at Credit Agricole seconds later with no additional charges at all, just as it did before Jan 1st

1 Like

Fab, had email to say sent hour or so ago, just checked my bank…not in yet, but does say can take upto 4 hours. I still can’t get over Credit Agricole charging me just over €20 to pay in €50 from my English bank account. It all sounds encouraging though, thank you for replying.

Yes, Transferwise too. No referals were made since we put it up a few weeks ago.

1 Like

We have previously had direct payments made into our CA account from South Africa and Australia and they have been charged similar amounts (we got charged but I always passed it on to the client). Sounds like its because of a non EU payment.

As others have said, use someone like Transferwise

We often convert funds £/€ using Revolut and then transfer € from Revolut to our French Banque. No charges are made by our French Banque for such transactions (but we obviously pay the usual quarterly tariffs for the maintenance of the account).

1 Like

Thanks, I transferred £50 as a trial…fingers crossed I don’t have any charges.

Same old story, this thread, with CA. Charged me €30 to take in a €100 German cheque years ago. They ‘stole’ other money too (promises not to broken), so I took my account across the road to La Poste and have been very happy ever since.

They did go through a short phase for a year or so of charging minimal amounts, €7.50 on a transfer of £5,000 but now charge nothing at all again.

Well if they charge me for money transferred via Transferwise I will cancel my bank account too…we actually don’t realise how lucky we are in Uk for having no bank charges on personal accounts…but it might happen soon. CA charge me €7 a month to have the account and €34 for having a debit card…Imight actually cancel the card this year, I’ve just taken out the Transferwise one for £5 I’ll see how it works first lol.

Ironically, a German cheque in Euro in France has handling fee costs. OH had the same issue some years ago with (other than CA) when a German customer paid by cheque in Euro. It does seem odd, but that is the nature of the single currency.
IIRC best to use SEPA (Single European Payments Area) or some other electronic means to transfer money. Incidentally, if it lessens the pain, the same sort of charge is made the other way round too - France cheque in Euro to a German account.

Yes, I found that out, but 30% :astonished:

@Tracy1 Banque Postale charge us €19/quarter thus €6.33/month, for everything, including the debit card. Open 6 half days per week in our small village and 5 and a half in the neighbouring, larger one.

1 Like

Yes I’ve been just looking at La poste Banking, when covid allows us to come from the Uk I think I need to visit our local and swap bank accounts.

Hi Tracy,

I never use the bank to transfer exchange rates high. I use HFIX it’s free, simple to set up an account and much better exchange rate plus it’s pretty instant and usually in my French account within an hour. I hope this helps?