Barclaycard closing our a/cs on November 16th!

As I’ve explained before John, Barclaycard are not making life difficult for us. I explained to them in detail all I could give them was an address of a flat we rent out. There was no point in misleading them. I did this all by phone. The customer service person said it was fine and we made sure that my correspondence all just came by email to my French email address. I too have just made a purchase online using my Barclaycard and it has gone through, just fine.

That’s good then, pleased for you. It seems that as long as you can give them somewhere reasonably bona fide in uk as an address they are ok with it.
Not like pensions, I have a SIPP for which I have an advisor…bounce ideas around with him as to what to invest in…and have just been told that they can no longer do this EU domiciled clients as they will be seen as third country based advisors not authorised to work out of uk to eu. And they are a big uk s-broker/wealth manager

Yes, updated address and no questions asked.
If questioned in the future I can prove that we own the address given so nothing dodgy.

The only question mark will be what happens when we need new cards. But I’ve got a couple of years to go on mine so will cross that bridge as and when.

So, we had the « round robin » email too on our Barclays account online and what it actually says is that "we can close your account if you don’t have an address in the UK rather than they will - along with a whole raft of other changes to the T&Cs.
Frankly, for us, I don’t care if they do close the account. We will still be served by other more practical accounts anyway. To all intents and purposes, it’s a legacy account (dating back to when we first got married) and if they want to dump us then so be it. We won’t lose any sleep over it and it’s one less account to declare to the fisc :wink:

Morning John

I had an interesting conversation with my financial advisor, who I have been using for 25 years on a personal and business level.

They said they would still act as my advisor if I can meet with them in the UK for any discussions.

Bending the rules ?

Andy

Bank accounts being closed…interesting item on Radio 4 You and Yours today. Programme starts at 12.18 uk time and the clip is at the end of programme just before 13.00. Catch it on BBC sounds…just underlines the confusion and that as usual all us Brits in Europe are consequential fall out from the Brexiteers!

I’ve had that suggested to me, but my pension manager is not happy as his compliance team have indicated that advice has to be constantly available and given to reflect day changes in the market.

anybody heard anything else about accounts being closed?

We’ve been with Lloyds “for ever” and have not been notified of any possible closure of our accounts.

Each time they send statement or general info… I keep checking (especially the small print) , but nothing mentions closure… so fingers crossed.

and… yes… they do know we are permanent residents in France with no UK addresses…

it seems each bank is doing its own thing and chosing which countries to stay in and which to withdraw from. HSBC seems to say no change, Barclays says some countries will close down, and Nat West is still
thinking about it. I think I saw a comment that Lloyd’s were continuing at the moment as before.

I am sure we are alright with Lloyds by now, if not, they have left it a bit late to inform us.

The offending post was not edited and she’s still posting. @cat

1 Like

The FCA made it clear to UK financial institutions that they should give their clients at least two months notice if they were closing accounts.
So, touch wood, if your bank is still dealing with you and no message to the contrary you hopefully will be ok.
One area that still is an issue is small financial providers like pension companies who do not have the arrangements in place to transfer funds overseas. Again, they should have let you know by now if that is the case.

Crédit Agricole is obviously hoping to pick up some business from all this. Got an email from my conseiller a couple of days ago with the cheery message: “Please be advised that in the absence of a deal with the EU, British Banks will potentially lose their EU ‘passporting’ rights to offer banking services outside of the UK. In the event of this happening British Nationals living in the EU will see their UK bank accounts closed by the end of the year.” He was quick to offer his bank’s services to meet all my financial needs.

I haven’t heard a word from my Scottish bank, which is now tied in with Virgin Money, so I’m hoping all will be well. As others have said, life would be a lot more complicated without UK bank accounts and just one more downside to Brexit. It was interesting to hear that at least one bank may be happy to accept a non-residential UK address.

Is it my imagination or is life becoming unsustainably buggered up all round?

problem: no one knows what the useless bunch of herberts running UK.plc are going to do… they keep telling people/businesses to “check, change, go” but beyond the usual fancy slogans there’s fuck all meaningful advice/guidance :roll_eyes:

yup! Doris and his fuckwit herberts at their best - SNAFU :rofl:

Has anyone else received a letter from Barclaycard saying “your Barclaycard will continue to work as normal. We’re very sorry for the mixup”.
We received this letter yesterday and it appears to be genuine but it seems so odd we are beginning to wonder if it is some sort of scam.

They refer to their letter of September telling us that our account would be closed and apologise for the confusion and any worry this may have caused… They say they have identified how this happened and fix the issue. The letter ends “we’d like to confirm your account will remain open and you don’t need to do anything”

They don’t say what they plan to do to help people who followed their advice and destroyed their cards after November 16.

I plan to contact them next week to get them to confirm this isn’t a joke or a scam and maybe to make a few barbed comments about incompetent bankers.
I have to say I was wondering what was going on because there was no indication on their website that that my cards had been cancelled. I will see what they say next week.

Friend of mine who bank with Barclays, without uk address, has received letter with recent statement changing their T&Cs which includes clause that they reserve the right to close the account in the future if it comes necessary for them to provide a uk adress and they can’t…or something to this effect

Is the card reg to uk address or here, does it have any account details, like last for digits of card number.
If it’s a letter most probably genuine, if its a scam then you should worry how someone got your details to be able to write to you !

Yes, it has the last four digits as usual. And the address they have is my French address.I don’t have any other. address. The only difference is that “France” is missing from the address and someone has added it by hand on the envelope. which I have kept and which also looks genuine. If the card has been cancelled then I don’t need to worry about someone having the details I imagine. If it hasn’t, then the chances are the letter’s genuine. and I don’t have to worry either.
As I said, I’ll chase up Barclaycard next week…