Barclaycard closing our a/cs on November 16th!

Thanks Angela, good to know…

I have an HSBC Advance current account set up a couple of years ago with my permanent French address. I did not however enquire about an HSBC credit card as I already had my Tesco Bank Mastercard (linked to Bank of Scotland) from before I left the UK in 2009 which I used extensively during frequent business trips to the UK until Covid brought these to a halt 18 months ago.

However last week I received a letter from Tesco Bank stating that my credit card would be cancelled in November as I did not live in the UK. This is in spite of the fact that I changed my address when I moved to France in 2009 and all correspondence (including issue of periodic new cards) have been sent directly to me in France.

I rather assumed that it was because of the relatively limited use I have made of the card lately that I was no longer deemed to be a worthwhile customer as they did not mention any change in legislation.

Reading the other posts however maybe it is happening to all of us.

U.K. banks issue credits cards based on your having an income that will meet the repayments and property in the U.K. that said bank can go after if you can’t pay.

If you are no longer a U.K. resident and you have any U.K. property, your U.K. credit card is basically a pre-authorised unsecured loan and you should be able to figure out why said banks are cancelling them.

So why did Tesco Bank/Bank of Scotland allow me to keep my Mastercard for 12 years after declaring my 2009 move to France (with the account address reflecting this from the outset) before deciding to cancel it this November?

It would be interesting to see if Tesco would issue a debit card to a French resident.

Same here.

Because they’re idiots and/or because Brexit has changed banking regulations?

My Lloyds MasterCard only just got knocked down to a £500 despite their knowing I live in France am fully tax resident here for 3 years.

On exploring further it seems Tesco Bank are closing ALL current accounts (as customers generally do not use them as their primary account) so I think that rules out new debit cards for anyone anywhere … no mention of any change to their policy on credit cards in the same article though

[Tesco Bank to close all its current accounts - BBC News]

HSBC UK have no problem with my non resident debit card. I fact I think they’ve even closed my branch. The fact that I’m a HSBC customer here might be a factor but as HSBC is in the process of divesting the French operation we’ll see how that affects me.

What makes you say that John?

Lloyds Bank doesn’t seem to be worried about French addresses for their accounts and debit cards.

1 Like

I’ve an advisor in there Sue and he told me that it was for sale about a year ago and it’s in line with what I have read about HSBC’s strategy of focussing on the Far East market. I had a meeting with him on the 30th and he confirmed the employee consultation process has either started (or just ended - I can’t remember :roll_eyes:) and the divestment is rolling along. Hopefully it won’t impact customers too much.

Thanks John, I’ve misunderstood. Of course, my account is in the UK. The fact that I live in France does not mean I am dealing with HSBC in France.

1 Like

I have to say I find HSBC customer service in general very good. I hope the standards are maintained here.

These banking and credit card closures are a mixture of rationalisation of unprofitable customers and loss of “passporting” after Brexit. Uk based banks cannot offer advice to (or service) none uk customers unless they set up a local subsidiary to service a customer, though there is debate whether a basic current account requires advice. However a bank makes no money from such customers nor could they recover any bad debt. So as most UK banks don’t have a big enough customer base in European countries to justify setting up a subsidiary they are pulling out in many cases.
It would seem some uk institutions require uk residency, a few are happy with a “UK” address.
An account with HSBC in UK it has no relevance to their French sub’, which is a French bank subject to French and EU laws.
Brexit, the present that keeps on giving!

1 Like

Interestingly, and a slight aside but not really, since 2019 fintech Monese (which isn’t a bank but an e money provider) has had FR specific IBANs for customers resident in France. Although British owned its focused across Europe like Revolut and came into existence because it’s Estonian founder moved to the U.K. and had difficulty opening a bank account and so focuses on people who are not resident in the country of their nationality whatever that may be.

Anyway, since May they have suspended new signups in France, I’m not sure if it’s a complete suspension or if users can still sign up but get the BE IBAN that is the standard for their Euro account rather than a local one. It’s now October obviously and there’s no sign of this ‘temporary halt while we make some background changes’ being anything other than permanent. It makes me wonder if they had some arrangement that was acceptable to the french banking regulator before Jan 1st but then because of the content (or lack there of) of the deal that was actually signed the regulator decided to yank the authority to provide local banking services in France.

My concern John is that once sold off will ex HSBC France clients still have access to the excellent HSBC personal banking platform. I’m not worried about any legal stuff just convenience. Since my first interaction with French banks way back in '81 (Soc Gen) I have found them arrogant and they treat you as if they are doing you a favour taking your money. I prefer my bankers less well dressed and more customer centric :joy:

Worse than that, they treat you as if they are doing you a favour letting you have your own money back, as anyone who has reached their “plaford” can testify.

1 Like

The closing of accounts for non resident Barclaycard holders did eventually go away and not happen.
At the time I switched to online contact only and provided a UK address just in case.
Now that Barclays Bank are definitely closing accounts of none UK residents how will that affect holders of a Barclays credit card?
When looking on line at my soon to be closed current accounts it also shows the balance of my Barclays credit card. In reality I only use the Barclaycard for occasional on line purchases rather than my debit card because of the additional money back guarantees and always settle the account before charges kick in. I am able to get a credit card from my french bank but having the Barclaycard for £ sterling purchases is helpful.
I have trawled the internet for an answer but to no avail.
So, will my Barclaycard credit account continue when I have closed my Barclays current accounts?

Does anyone have a crystal ball ??? :rofl: :rofl: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

1 Like