Basically, the wheels are falling off

Et tu, Johnny?

May has no support for her current position. It doesn’t matter what she brings back there will be some segment of her party that loudly and rabidly denounces it.

In my fantasies she grows a pair, shows some leadership and chooses what is in the country’s interest - i.e EEA/EFTA membership as that is the only situation in which we are “out” of the EU but does not threaten to tear apart either the GFA or the Union.

Given that would pass Labour’s “6 tests” she should get it through with Labour support plus her own moderates. Yes the ERG would froth at the mouth but they do that whatever she suggests so no loss there.

But, she won’t. She can’t think outside of the box into which she has painted herself with her red lines.

The really frustrating thing is that she is still the least worst option available as leader of the country

3 Likes

in a loose sort of way… but more like the captain of the Titanic standing on the bridge singing Rule Britannia as the ship goes down… glug
Utterly useless

I don’t think that is the right analogy, it’s got some of the right elements but for some reason I can’t quite put my finger on for the minute it doesn’t quite fit everything about the current situation.

2 Likes

Wish that a lot of people on this forum read this and then try to put an end to all the hysteria amongst them at the moment.

I could see a slip up on stop vs start but the last thing he says is “we will definitely deliver visas for people” - Macron’s English is too good to ascribe that to a slip.

It’s a bit odd, I wonder what he was actually thinking.

Whatever he says for those of us travelling in and out often rather than resident I would not be surprised to find we need to sign up to ETIAS when it gets going.

There’s also an interesting list of documents which have to be presented at the border:

• Valid passport (three months beyond end of planned stay).
  • Hotel reservation or an offer of private accommodation validated by the mayor of the commune where you will be staying
  • Proof of sufficient financial reserves for your stay (120€/day if not staying in a hotel, 65€/day if you are)
  • Return ticket or proof of enough financial resources to buy one
  • Business credentials, which organisation you are visiting etc.

I’m assuming that, as I own property in France, proof of that will suffice - I won’t have to invite myself over and get that certified by the Mayor, but having friends to stay will be a pain.

Can you get a CdS if not actually resident?

this sort of thing perhaps…

Not exactly as I woudn’t want to stay over three months and I definitely would not be performing any religious functions.

No, just something so you could show one document and have done, rather than tickets, hotel reservations etc.

It is possible/probable that ETIAS will cover this

I’ve no idea… what I found was just a vague idea… but I am sure there is or will be something suitable…:relaxed: