Beam Benders in France

Toothpaste works cleaning the headlamp lenses, but if you are going to go to the trouble of doing it, there are some good video aids on youtube.

I paid 150 € for 2 new glass lenses for my Volvo S60. Cant be bothered with sticky tape. .

Sounds like a good result… nice car… nice new glass lenses… :hugs::hugs:

1 Like

Ha i only had to get the new lenses cos my beloved broom stick driver threw the German lenses out in the skippo bag last year. Would you credit that.

Our Touareg adjusts automatically. I must confess that was my only concern before its first CT. I mentioned it to the technician, but he said they were fine.
If you’ve a worry, either ask at your CT station before you pay out anything, or your local garage . Either place have the equipment to test the lights.
Paul

Stella Wood … do you have a copy of this regulation / law - in French - so I can show it to a CT centre ? ( Ref: your post about ‘beam benders’ being accepted )

Thanks,
Andy

Has your CT centre said that they will not accept BB’s on your particular vehicle… or BB’s on vehicles in general ??

They have yes … in general. So can you provide the evidence please … that would be great for me and a lot of others too. Thanks in advance …

Hi Andy… is your centre a DEKRA agency… as it is from a DEKRA agent … that I gained the information.

The new guidelines are on the DEKRA computers… but all Test Centres should be singing from the same hymn sheet… these are government decisions after all… not just for some parts of France.

@anon90504988 are you able to add some details to this… please.

Here is a quote from @anon90504988’s post on another thread… July 2018.

"The old CT did not allow stickers on headlights although some testers did pass cars with them. The new CT now states that RHD headlights are a failure “except those equipped with a device rendering the beam flat (e.g. masking tape or a specific device)” - code 4.1.2.a.2.

It does require a CT tester to be on the ball & to have read thoroughly the new instructions!"

John McClain’s post no 13 contains the UTAC file on lighting although it has been updated & is now this one - http://www.utac-otc.com/vehicule_leger/Pages/base-documentaire.aspx?Category=4c21f98c-9d2d-4faa-981e-3ea18f4ed6f3&SCategory=107&Document=241&DocumentName=Instruction%20technique%20IT%20VL%20F4D
The instructions for stickers or other beam flattening devices remains the same. Some individual testers obviously have not read the particular notes on this & still insist, incorrectly, that only lights for a LHD vehicle are acceptable.
Whether you change them or fit stickers depends on personal preference & how much spare money you have at the time.
I get a little pissed off at those who insist that the only correct thing to do is change them when they have no idea of the other person’s personal finances as not everyone who comes here has deep pockets.
Claims that stickers are unsafe rather implies that UTAC & all the other european transport departments did no research before allowing this regulation which I would guess is not actually true.

1 Like

Thanks for this added post and info ( and reiteration ) Mark.

For those of us less fluent and used to sifting through French regs, can you specify which part of the 31 pages is to be shown to a CT centre ?

Cheers

The latest pdf I have is dated 13/12/2018…

Ask your folk to check: IT PL F4 (I think it is on page 4)

4.1.4 Conformité avec les Exigences (Phares)

4.1.4.b.2 Défaillances (Niveau Majeure)
Constat:
Présence de produits sur la glace ou la
source lumineuse qui réduit
manifestement l’intensité lumineuse ou
modifie la couleur émise

Précisions complimentaire:
Hors présence d’adhésif masquant
une partie inclinée située sur la partie
gauche de la ligne de coupure (cas
des véhicules importés avec conduite
à droite)

@AndyJeff … not sure… have you been able to update us on your CT situation… with regards to beam-benders… ???