Beating the slugs

My wife said put salt on them. God she’ll eat anything :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We’ve got a small wooden deck at first floor level and tend to put seedlings out on that since the slugs don’t seem to make it up the supports…

1 Like

Similar topic does anyone have problems with chafer grubs in their potted plants. Probably got the name wrong but they are the white grubs you get in the lawn

I have plenty in my compost bin planters and in the 2 veg gardens, they’ve never been problematic.
Easy to find fresh water fishing bait. :wink:
You may find this helpful
Chafer grubs in garden borders / RHS Gardening).

Thanks. We had a few what we thought were healthy plants die a few years ago. The pots were full of grubs so we assumed they were the culprits. Only I think this is the time of year when they hatch and the insects lay their eggs. So I was thinking of covering the surface of the pots to stop them

6 in a pac for a euro or two and they can be stretched out to cover a large area.

A cheap an effective way is to save your egg shells dry them out in a micro wave or oven ,crunch them up and place round your plants slugs and snails will not cross over them

1 Like

I still do that. I did an experiment by surrounding a slug with crushed egg shells. When I returned the slug had gone so concluded they do not work. QED.
Unfortunately, I had not ruled out the possibility of a bird taking advantage of a free breakfast.

1 Like

Look for vine weevils, they are much more damaging. The chafer grubs we just pick out when repotting plants.

We just put then in an a box to dry out fir a few months or so. You need quite a few shells to make any quantity.

That’s why we abandoned that method - clearly we don’t eat enough eggs!!

We could always link two threads and advise that you patrol the garden at night with one of these in your hand. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Jane. According to the internet the vine weevils white grubs are legless and much smaller and the beetles don’t fly. We’ve got two large pots which we want to protect from pests so maybe some sticky tape around the pots might give some protection