Best places to live in France

Hi Liz

I guess it is horses for courses when it comes to climate and landscape preferences. Myself and my partner are really into horticulture and we were shocked at just how hot and baked it was in the Charente this part summer. We touched 40 degrees on a few days. Apparently though last summer was an exception to the norm? Having lived in many remote and western parts of the UK such as Snowdonia and the Scottish Highlands we feel that we are looking for a place in France more along those things (minus the terrible climate). We love the more remote parts of the Haute Vienne and have yet to explore the Creuse. Sunshine is important too and that is where the Charente scores highly as it's sunshine hours are high. Don't mind the cold personally and prefer it to the mild,wet and windy weather we are getting at the moment.

charentaises ;-)

We looked at a lot of wonderful properties in Creuse, far cheaper than anywhere else, But, as Creuse is higher, the weather is colder.... even the Limousin cattle in Creuse have slightly longer hair than their Vienne or Charentoise versions. (sorry we have cows, so notice things like this ha ha, plus the estate agent confirmed it is colder! There is one with 6 houses...Barns one new, and I think about 2.5 hectares for 160,000 but owner has had it on the market for ages, so open to offers. This is just an example of Creuse prices and of course it is also wonderfully sunny in summer!

Hi Hilary. Interesting that you are thinking of moving. I remember your replies to my post around a year ago when myself and my girlfriend realised that the part of France we had chosen (Charente) wasn't really right for us. We have since done a bit of looking at other areas and we are really drawn to the Creuse and the Haute Vienne. I guess any decision is also affected by price. I realise that the Charente, Creuse and Haute Vienne are amongst the cheaper departments for property, compared with say the Dordogne, Lot or Tarn for example. However there are always exceptions and bargains to be had. I guess the other factor to consider is the state of the housing market in France. I have read that the French don't move that much compared to in the UK and it seems much harder to sell a house here. (Supply and demand I guess). When we finally sell our place in the Charente, we are planning to rent for a few months and to check out the following Departments:-

Haute Vienne

Dordogne

Creuse

Cantal

Aveyron

I read a good article in France Property magazine about Brits who had moved within France as their first choice wasn't quite right. I think renting in an area is a very good idea and I wish we had done that before committing to buy somewhere. Good luck. Paul

Yep, netter to visit when you want rather than live, I have family (French) in Carcassonne who, even after 20 years there, can't stand the wind and would like to move back to the Aveyron. Oh, and the Tramontane isn't a "gentler" version of the Mistral, it can be just as strong, see here ;-)

Actually Hilary, the village of Payroux is now just about "dead". Any commerce such as the bar, shops, restaurant etc. have all closed. We live in a 2 house hamlet about 3kms away. Charroux is a little bit better but his held together by Brits. 2 of the pubs are owned and cater for them.

Yes ,we like the rolling countryside too

Bordeaux is expensive, check out 16 area code! Much cheaper..

Thanks for the warning Andrew....I think now that it's somewhere to visit rather than live...

http://www.midi-france.info/110501_tramontane.htm

Thanks for your very interesting detailed response, Karim...

Despite making a detailed 'bucket-list' it's still possible to get it wrong....and it's often said that the 'Brits' do by buying a place with too much land - which is OK if you intend to keep animals (a big tie if one wants to travel regularly) and need it for grazing, or can rent it out for that, or be swayed by the percieved 'potential'....nice to have options, but will one ever have enough cash to be able to do the work necessary to the right level...?.....and as you have pointed out, life is short and there is only so much time & money available to see more of the world.

I would like to visit the area that you have settled for, to see for myself, so I'll be looking out for cheap all inclusive coach trips to Perpignan and maybe drive down myself at some point in the future (the seaside, Collioure) and Barcelona are all on my to do list...

Hello Elizabeth,

Have just Google mapped this area (this sheltered basin, being similar to my idea of looking at the more sheltered eastern side of the estuary north of Bordeaux) and did a quick property search....

Discovered that it's out of my price bracket, for the kind of space that I want, I think, will do abit more looking though to make sure..

I made the decision to stay here for December and January and half of Feb to see what it would be like. On the whole not so bad compared to the UK and more sunshine than I was expecting and so far little rain. I have been told that spring will bring a little more. We also had a snow flurry which was pretty and surprised everyone but didn't settle. Apparently there is more heavy snow every 12 years!

Where I am is at an altitude of 440m and that brings lower temperatures than at sea level sometimes by as much as 8 degrees. So if heat is an issue that might be the answer. Also don't forget Le Mistral, it is such a strong wind but where I am we are protected by the mountains so although I have seen some wind it was nothing like the wind in Perpignan.

On your house hunt I would suggest check how much sun you get as there is nothing so warming as morning sun streaming through your windows in winter.

The English estate agents I bought from send an email list of videos of new properties around Quillan which may help you get a sense of what's around. Limoux is more towards Carcassonne and a pretty little town that my sister is buying in. It is close 25 mins by bus to the airport which is served by Ryanair. Estagel is a nice little town about 30 mins from Perpignan, again there's a bus.

Elizabeth, I completely understand. I felt exactly the same & I did not want to lie on the beach cooking myself in oil either. Love my wellies and the seasons of the Lot. Locals are charming and helpful and Brits are very down to earth. We get plenty of sun too.

The Tramontane will drive you mad, Hilary :-O and as for the summer heat - rent for a year before buying, you need to experience to know, freezing cold Tramontane in the winter aint nice either ;-)

Thanks for the detailed account, Liz.

Yes the Charentes is definitely in the running, the hours of sunshine, the micro-climate you refer to.

I had thought about the eastern side of the estuary north of Bordeaux( as I do like the sea, sea air and sandy beaches), as that would be more sheltered than facing out onto the Bay of Biscay and the Atlantic.....but I think that it tends to be too flat for my liking and is probably still pretty windy.....Need to be a nice town with some life.......so taking my time over this, mustn't get it wrong....

Thinking of Googling properties in the Cognac, Jonzac area next.....

Well I don't want to be isolated, so I figure that as now, I would like to be within 15-20 mins walking distance to shops, doctor, pharmacy etc...

I have a complete aversion to rain....so I wouldn't go further North than the Charentes and I also prefer milder winters.....Snow looks pretty, but I don't like it hanging around....2 days worth is enough (I don't ski).

In the last couple of days I have Googled properties in the area that Karim mentions he has settled for..in between Carcassone and Perpignan..I like the relative proximity of Barcelona and Couloures....

There are quite a few affordable properties..usually without any outside space....I do need a bit for myself (and my 2 cats)...enough for a small swimming pool, ideally...I haven't stayed in that area, would the Summer heat be too much...are the Winters extreme ?

Hi Bruce,

I have just done a Google maps search on Payroux...very nice....I have travelled up to this area and I like the fact that the landscape is gently undulating with far reaching views....I like the feeling openness and 'potential' and wouldn't want to be 'hemmed in' by mountains or heavily forested areas. The light is good here and I like the architecture, the mix of terracotta and slate roofs, the occasional turret and the chalkier, white stone buildings relected in the rivers..... It's high on my list and having done some research, the winters are less extreme than in the Dordogne....but will I miss the Summer heat ...?

I spent time in a cafe a bit further North and was amazed to encounter so many Brits...

It depends on how strong your needs for: medical help, public transport, shopping, entertainment and sun are!

I loved reading this, Karim. That's just how you should do it. Make a list of what you really want and where you want to be and then ignore most of it when your heart tells you something is right. Welcome to France.

Southern Tarn? Why not? Gentle, rolling countryside, welcoming people, not too populated. Castres is a fine service and adequate shoppingcentre and isn't "touristy". Easy access to airports, major rail inks. What's not to like?

Sure Anthony drop me a line when you have a specific date in mind. I have several trips planned but ahould be here around that time.