Best way to learn French

:laughing::upside_down_face::thinking:
and for those further south -(like me) there is Occitan as well as local variations of Oc and variations of French itself ā€¦ yikes - :upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face: sometimes seems like 25 languages all rolled into oneā€¦ but, for me, it can become clearer after a glass or two (hic) :joy::joy:

I teach a whole sequence on precisely this.

1 Like

Blockquote it would be interesting to see if he speaks slightly on the slow side

@anon88169868 I definitely thought he spoke unusually slowly and clearly (rather better than Johan and Pierre, I think) and was gratified to hear @vero confirm my impression, because that suggests the path Iā€™ve followed has improved my comprehension.

Also @anon88169868 - I do the same as you do - ā€œprocessing what is being said in Englishā€ - but Iā€™m making a conscious effort not to do so. Obvs itā€™s a necessary step on the way for adults in our position (ā€œpeople like youā€ - sorry, @vero :rofl::rofl::rofl:) but if we can get beyond it then our comprehension and speed will greatly benefit.

Instead of teasing you, Mme Langlands, can I ask your opinion on my practice, which is now - having gained a degree of understanding - to watch as much, on YouTube and M6/W9, as I can of television programmes on subjects which interest me? I confess to an affection for StĆ©phane Plaza, for instance :star_struck::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Iā€™m doing it as a version of total immersion (though if YT offers subtitles Iā€™m all over them).

It turns out that he did not speak ā€œunusuallyā€ slowly, just quite slowly, the text from the subtitles (which Iā€™d guess were manually generated from his script as they appear to be pretty accurate) has 1807 words and the video is 12 minutes 24 seconds long - just about 150 words per minute.

Vero confirmed my suspicion that the choice of language was probably aimed at students, and probably specifically students whoā€™s first language is English making comprehension easier - but thatā€™s OK. It might not be full on no holds barred French, but itā€™s still good practice :slight_smile:

Well then I think we both deserve a pat on the back, @anon88169868 !

1 Like

I decided to get a proper course and bought one from https://www.language-city.com/
It is not cheap but I find it very good - I feel I am learning French as it is spoken including getting used to the speed.
I also go to local Le CafƩ Langues for real conversation and to make new friends.

I have audios made by https://www.frenchtoday.com/
They work for me.

About 40 years ago I worked the grape harvest down near the Spanish border. I had decent school French - I had studied it in the 6th Form - but couldnā€™t understand a word the farmerā€™s very elderly father said. I was puzzled - until somebody spotted my embarrassment and explained that he was speaking not French but Catalanā€¦

1 Like

Flash cards are good, either words or later phrases, English one side, French the other, then swap round.
Can be used anywhere, anytime, donā€™t cost much.

Back to Hugo.

Bit of a lightbulb moment with this one - I mightā€‰Ā have been frustrated with the fact that I stillā€‰Ā canā€™t understand French movies - itā€™s kind-of refreshing to have someone say, ā€œyes, thatā€™s OK - theyā€™re really hardā€.

Whatā€™s hard, the genre or the language?

I find the language easy to follow if thereā€™s French subtitles. Some of the obscenities I need to look up though.

Donā€™t bust my bubble Peter - you live in France so get daily practice :slight_smile:

The language - usually too fast, often slightly obscure vocab.

The genre - well, itā€™s an acquired taste (some more acquired than others), though I tend to rather enjoy French cinema - the fact that profit is not so much of a motive means that some interesting stuff gets made, unfortunately it means that bizarre stuff gets made as well.

Hello, I tried everything and am still trying but the only way is to live there. Maybe itā€™s just me, but when not in France I just lose my French and maybe also I donā€™t have the discipline.
Good luck and apologies for no advise.

Well if there are subtitles!

I went to see Bohemian Rhapsody a few weeks back, and as a measure of how far Iā€™ve come it was a while into the film before I fully noticed it was dubbed. Sure I missed a couple of obscenities, but one gets the overall sense of them so no need to know precisely which part of the anatomy is being lauded.

1 Like

I also find modern French films difficult to follow and, like @anon88169868, was reassured. I find the actors donā€™t take the trouble to speak clearly, and the language used plainly makes no concessions for non-native speakers. While I can understand pretty much all of RFIā€™s Journal en franƧais facile, and 80% of Chasseurs dā€™appartā€™, Iā€™m usually lost with modern French films.

I think itā€™s also a question of style. The classics from the 60s and 70s were quite happy to be seen as creative works, whereas nowadays a lot of films seem to want to appear to be quasi-documentaries.

I find the same with some modern films in english!

3 Likes

Hereā€™s one at a level up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFRyiUZNW_0

Wellā€¦ Someone suggested DuoLingo and I have now completed one week.

ā€œElle manges lā€™orangeā€

There are hundreds of levels. Its a bit like an 80s computer game

Elle mange (no s) :wink:

1 Like

Quite rightā€¦you win