Books in French - your suggestions please!

@David_Spardo They do indeed have French books on Kindle - all the recommended books so far (and almost all the ones I’ve read so far) I’ve read on Kindle. My partner reads his that way in bed as he can do that without disturbing me…

I had a quick look but got the impression that they had to come from Amazon fr and am a bit nervous about that. This because in the early days of usage there was a problem in downloading from uk when in France. I appeared to get round this by only downloading one or 2 at a time, and don’t want to upset that particular applecart again.

You can still get them from Amazon UK but it’s not always obvious. If in doubt, find the book on Amazon Fr and then use the ISBN on the UK site to find it there. Been there, done that… I now have a new Kindle just for French books so the problem went away but I have lots of books on my old Kindle in French either by finding them directly on the UK site or by using the ISBN as mentioned.

As an added comment - I typed “miroir de nos peines” (from the recommendations by Vero) into the UK site and came up with this -

1 Like

That’s very interesting Angela, and I will try it but not today. Exhausted after spending the best part of the day so far working out (and finally curing) why my scanner wouldn’t work with the laptop, and then wrestling (unsuccessfully) with a new problem why same laptop suddenly stopped talking to written documents on the external drives. Then clearing up after the dogs in the garden and setting the car up to protect it from the dogs during yet another trip to Perigueux tomorrow.

Breakfast merged into lunch and the dogs went without a walk and I went without my swim.

One thing though, I see you identified the book you were interested in and then went to UK to find it. I suppose that you can scroll on the French site without a particular book in mind in the same way that I do on UK. Then go to UK to download it, as you did.

Edit: Browsed on fr but no prices mentioned for Kindle books and an advice to go to UK. Picked a book at random, Mardi Soir, 19h, and pasted it into the uk list £11.99. Way too rich for me, but it would be helpful if prices were attached while scrolling on the fr site.

Edit again: I see that I can scroll on uk site with prices when I entered ‘books in French’ in the Kindle store. That’s more like it. :smiley:

Yes exactly! If you know what you are going for, you can go straight there but my partner likes obscure SciFi so does just what you are describing with browsing on the French site and then going to the UK one. No idea why you can’t see prices on the French site though - I can - looks just like the UK one in layout :thinking:

See above. :wink: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Still don’t know why you can’t see prices on the French site though…

Nor me. Also I realise that on the UK site it takes the word French literally, even listing books with the word french in the title. I’ll have another look later.

Use “français”?

But wouldn’t it simply do the same with the word francais, however I suppose that there are fewer English words to get them mixed up with, so I’ll give it a try. :slightly_smiling_face:

A quick check not entirely successful. Starts off well enough with cheap books in French but then wanders into related territory with a couple of offerings from Martin Walker, the writer in English who sets his books in the Dordogne. That seems to have triggered the diversion. I think they were in English but can’t be certain.

I’ve read all of Dickens and Conan Doyle in French for free on my Kindle and have now graduated to Les Miserables. It’s great as there is an inbuilt dictionary and translator and when you use the dictionary it saves the word and you can test yourself on it later, it’s a great way to build up your vocabulary. Hopefully, I don’t sound like a Dickensian French language student.

1 Like

I quietly hoped that I would have a similar result from reading Petit Nicolas. All I can remember is coup de poing.

Have you tried the Arsène Lupin books by Maurice Leblanc? The stories are dated - which you may well like - and I find his sense of place really convincing. I remember in one story his description of a walk along the seafront in Fécamp and up the hill at the end was so powerful I could picture the exact route, which I have taken many times.

Is that a UK Kindle or French, and how do you get them for free?

I tend to look for them on a laptop and pick the free ones, because it’s easier to see them on a laptop

Blowed if I’ve ever seen free ones, and I use a laptop but not sure what different that makes. I’ll have to have another look

Loads of them, if you are happy with older titles. I’ve got things like Kind Solomon’s Mines, The Moonstone, Ben Hur, Northanger Abbey, Lorna Doone, The Three Musketeers, The Scarlet Letter, Jane Eyre, Puck of Pook’s Hill, to name but few.

2 Likes

Do you mean Kindle Unlimited, at £7.99 a month?

No. I tried that but only rarely was anything I wanted to read available.

I do a search (on the laptop) for an author in the Kindle Store, then set the sort order to Price: Low to High.

For example

This link from moneysavingexpert about where to find free ebooks, some audiobooks etc, has quite a lot and is regularly updated.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/deals-hunter/2020/05/how-to-get-free-books-and-audiobooks/