Boundary wall horror

Just as a reminder, it has been mentioned before. Be careful with the drivers admission of liability, if that gets to his insurers they can fail to indemnify him meaning a private civil suit if he doesnt want to pay and in France that can be expensive and drawn out.

1 Like

You generally can’t use these for existing litigation or pre-litigation, or if you had knowledge of an impending litigation.

Well, you have my view Suzan, so mission accomplished there. :slightly_smiling_face: (BTW, the term "ex pat"for our status may be considered pejorative by some people, myself included).

I’m actually trying to help you too. Personally, when faced with an issue or a problem (and most of my career was spent resolving issues and problems) I try to resolve it as quickly as possible, and the first thing to do is establish the facts and then have a plan to get it sorted. A plan or actions based on misinformation or incorrect assumptions won’t fix your issue, just waste your time. Also, when I mentioned wasting people’s time I wasn’t specifically thinking of this forum. There seems to be a fair number of people involved on the ground too.

Anyway, that’s my tuppence worth, so good luck :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Meaningless! As I said many posts back you need a géomètre.

3 Likes

and that is the general consensus across SF and beyond.

as mine too… I always talked about solutions to problems rather than just dwelling on crying about spilt milk :wink:

1 Like

Exactly. My professional activity touched on quality control. There can sometimes be different interpretations of data and a case can be made for each. But for practical purposes, it is generally necessary for all parties to come to an agreement on which interpretation to use because a project will run into all kinds of problems if different parties are working from differing sketches. So if the second sketch contradicts the first, good practice in my opinion would be to raise this with the planning office at the mairie before any work is done with a view to reaching a definitive decision and marking any amendments on the official sketch. If this is not done it is almost inevitable that sooner or later there will be a query, which here has arisen sooner rather than later. The process of reconciling the sketches will be the same but if it had been done earlier all this stress would have been avoided.

1 Like

No offence meant by ex pat, I just meant English people like myself living in France, you really do need to be careful what you say on here.

Do you live in France? - I got the impression it was a maison secondaire.

There are meetings taking place as we speak, a few people on the ground acting on my behalf yes. I don’t know all the facts yet only what ive outlined on here. I think all will be clear soon.

I wonder who these meetings are between?
It would worry me if Ithought officials were discussing my property and disclosing to third parties, details unkonwn to me.
My wife tells me that I have a control freak gene but I do like to feel ithat I am n charge of my own affairs. I dislike relying on others and I certainly do not like other people knowing more about my business than I do.

4 Likes

Ah! The old term raises its head again. Connotations aside, the generally accepted definition of an expatriate (shortened to “expat”) is someone who lives and works (legally) in another country but plans to return to their home country when finished. In contrast, an “immigrant” is someone who moves to another country permanently.

Here’s a fun BBC piece, mis titled or perhaps intentionally provokingly titled:

And this article helps to explain the undesirable connotations of the term expat:

P. S. Someone with a ‘maison secondaire’ holiday home, that is not their declared main or primary residence, is neither an expat nor an immigrant.

2 Likes

yes it really worries me too, but I have two people acting for me, well one, the other over seeing. Yes Sandcastle, im a bit of a control freak too and what I can do, I don’t pass on to others what I can do myself , (ex faculty head in a secondary school). In this situation, it is pointless to return to Franc e as I don’t have the authority to demand explanations from the powers that be who so far they have declined to reply. My friend however has picked it up without being asked and I know defending to hilt, I have yet to hear outcome as they seem to want to keep all from me at present. I think this is because they still have to decide whether they will prosecute…and any official papers could give me grounds for redress. Even a friend in village whose husband is buddies with someone at Mairie is not answering my calls.

1 Like

Ok thanks Susannah, I must have misused the term, Google describes the site as the biggest site for anglophones…is everyone happier with that, not sure ive heard that one? :thinking:

Hi, no im in London more not over 180 days in France

I’m reminded of an “expatriate” tale from the newspaper industry. The paper’s style guide banned the use of the prefix ex- and recommended a change to “former” . A sub-editor spotted the offending “ex-pat” in a reporter’s story, complete with the usual rogue hyphen, and switched it to “former patriot”. Hope it’s true, and it wouldn’t surprise me. On the original post, I think all the ground has been covered. The first step must be to establish the property’s boundaries. Good luck, Suzan.

Good.

Indeed, I’ve been an expat in other countries but I’m an immigrant here. And delighted to be so.

2 Likes

No! is it even necessary to use any form to describe other members on SF except by their user nic or prefix it with @ to refer to them directly? That is how things are done here.
If addressing SF’ers as a collective just refer to us as “members” as that is what we are.
Simples… No offence can be caused that way :wink:

4 Likes

QED, as we say.

1 Like

@billybutcher

ISWYDT :wink:

1 Like