Boursorama

Gosh… that must have been a horrible shock…

I’m sure there’s a thread with a link to Credit Rating … re France… but my mind’s not working yet… someone will know it… and you might find the answer lies there.
I believe one can contest whatever is noted on that site…

best of luck.

I’m confused (as perhaps are Bousorama). If what you seek is a joint account, why make two separate applications for two separate accounts?
I would have thought that when opening the first account, it would have been better to open it as a joint account (assuming that the Bank offers such a facility) at that stage (Mr ou Mme being preferable)
We have two separate accounts with Revolut but that is because they do not offer joint accounts (yet).

You cannot open a joint account with Boursorama unless you are already existing clients. I know, it’s bonkers, but those are their rules. You each open an individual account, and then you apply for a joint account.

1 Like

ah… thanks for clearing that up.
Bousorama off the list then :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I don’t think it is a problem to open a joint account. The need to start by opening two separate accounts is probably because they confirm the identity, etc. of each individual. Once that has been done the accounts can be merged.

I don’t recall having to go through that process when opening our Banque Populaire joint account… but it still seems a somewhat bizarre and overly complex procedure since the required checks and due diligence can be done on both at the same time…

That’s France for you.
Extra red tape and bumf to negotiate.

To be fair Jane, I still think I prefer France in spite of its “red tape and bumf” even though accounts here cost a fee to maintain - and I’ve had a lot of experience over the years with UK banks for both personal and business banking activity.

You can only open a joint account with Boursorama if you are already customers. So as holders of livrets you would have been eligible for a joint account. A couple cannot open a joint account unless they are already customers. I spoke at great length to them and was told first both of you open an account. Then you apply for a joint account. Once you have that you can close the single accounts. That’s how it works.

1 Like

Sounds like the bank has risk criteria for location or household and can open one account at same address, but not two because of their own internal risk criteria.

Which is bonkers as if their procedure requires prospective joint account holders to first each open their own bank account then a lot of people will fall foul of it.

I wonder if it would have been different if you had first each opened a Livret instead of a current account, like @an_droo, or if he opened a Livret, as being a savings account there would presumably be less accumulation of risk for them to worry about.

I’m starting to think it’s a lot less hassle to just keep our La Poste account and pay their charges. Trying to find an online bank that offers a joint account (we can rule out Boursorama now) and supplies a cheque book seems impossible.

1 Like

Couldn’t resist this… it seems so apt…

1 Like

At least you can walk into a la poste anywhere in France to use your account

2 Likes