Breaking down is hard to do

maybe you can… ??? why not ask…???

We broke down in my classic one Sunday morning… 90 mins from home.
Phoned Breakdown… who sent the truck…
He wanted to take the car to a Secure Centre for Sunday and move it on again… come Monday…
I said no way!! and he checked with our Insurance…
Hurrah… seems we had cover to get the car home…
yippee… car on trailer… us in cab… got home, unloaded classic into our garage… waved goodbye to the truck… grabbed the modern and zipped off to catch up with the gang…

OH pottered, doing the necessary with the sad classic… some time later

1 Like

Our almost classic broke down/stopped performing this afternoon, not far from home in the middle of nowhere
(not even 1/2 a bar on the mobile.)
Managed to text a friend who came, picked ne up, I picked up the other car and asked our local garage to come and pick up the ‘toy’. He didn’t want to know - was top busy.
So with my still limited french I called our insurance co. and they were brilliant,
5min to first text message comfirming details, next message announced towtruck and ETA, another 5 minutes a phonecall from the driver confirming our location. 30 minutes after initial call the towtruck pulled the ‘toy’ up
and we took off to our garage a 1/2 hr. drive away.
We had breakdown insurance with TheAA, RAC and green flag, but none could ever best the 30 minutes.
Thank you Fabian for arranging our car insurance and the advice in insurance level.
Now to find spare parts for a '93 900 classic saab convertible

7 Likes

@fabien

2 Likes

Thanks bettina :pray:

2 Likes

https://www.polar-parts.de/

They should have what you need. Service is 2-3 days after ordering.

1 Like

If you can’t find the parts in the EU, there are 2 UK companies who are excellent for Saab parts:

Neo Brothers
and
Two Stroke To Turbo

Also, if you are in easy reach of Deux Sevres (40km South of Poitiers) I know an excellent garagiste who has about 40 years of experience with Saabs. Let me know if the details would be useful.

Thank you so much, I will give this info to the OH - it’s his toy…
Volvo is mine, not so hard to get spares yet.

Yes, it is all great info… OH loves his classic 900.
We have a great Mechanic - its usually the weird little parts that are most difficult to find. Had to resort calling on swedish friends to get clips to hold wheel arch plastic bits in situ…

8 Likes

Ah… the Boris bus

2 Likes

Looks more like the Truss buss.

1 Like

No, I go with @KarenLot
The word “Purge” on the side of the bus - what he did to what was left of the “good” Tories in parliament :wink:

2 Likes