Brexit - here's a good read from a French insider's perspective!

You say that “I set out a number of examples of the way in which UK citizens had been prejudiced by our membership of the EU in an earlier debate, with David Martin and Simon Armstrong.”
Well surprise, not all of us on here have seen those !
Fair enough if you don’t want to answer my question about whether or not you live in France, by your reply I take it as a yes then ! Not a lot more to be said other than as an immigrant in France you may want to think again about those remarks concerning immigrants in British towns. “People in glass houses” springs to mind!

I wonder who is the more ridiculous? By the way one does not “suffer” double standards one applies them.
If the numbers of migrants become too many the home population begins to feel threatened. Witness the comment Vero made in our earlier exchanges - she inadvertently let the cat of the bag. It is a question of balance and the £ - Euro rate tipped the balance against harmony in the recent past. As the £ reduced in value the issue became less significant. It is about numbers and I accept that the British were not as astute as other countries in Europe in making it clear that freedom of movement had conditions. It is in fact an endearing trait that we are not good at that kind of policing.

Well you did because you were one of the contributors to that discussion. Let me try and argue this with you as if we weren’t enemies. Is that okay? Yes, I own a house here in France and I have done so for many years. I don’t regard myself as throwing stones. The Brits were invited to vote and they exercised that democratic right, as did the Irish, the French, the Danes, and the Dutch. All indicated discomfort with the thrust of the EU and all were asked by the EU to simply re-run the vote.

I am not enemies with anyone, I am merely, like you, making my contribution to this discussion.
When you say the Brits were invited to vote it was only those Brits who ‘qualified’ leaving many of us in Europe without a say in a very important referendum. Hardly fair or democratic was it ?

Well why on Earth blame the EU? Why throw the baby out with the bathwater? Why not complain to the British government that THEY needed to do something, perhaps copy the systems employed by France or Germany. Two wrongs don’t make a right, the fact remains, you criticised other EU citizens who chose to take advantage of exactly the same rights that you enjoy. Their only crime is that they’re foreign and you’re British. They’re spoiling British villages while you perceive yourself to be enhancing a French one. I’m not surprised that you are well versed in the vocabulary concerned with double standards; you are without doubt an expert.
If all you can do is insult me and quote a third party out of context I suggest that you give up.

2 Likes

Yes, looking back you did make some general claims in the Survive France Users’ Brexit Poll - I was going to reply but in the end didn’t have time.

I won’t try to rebut your points, unless they come up afresh; I guess that there is little chance of either of us changing our minds quickly or in response to a single point of debate.

However I have previously observed that SF - its membership either those who have exercised their FoM rights to settle in France or those with property there (and hence frequent visits) is not a natural well of sympathy for the Leave perspective so I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if your views come under fire.

4 Likes

I wonder why so many people disagree with you?

I believe he lives full time in France, slightly more than owning a home.

Did I really? Fancy. What did I say? Was it something about reciprocity?

Actually, there’s currently nothing stopping Britain from have any colour they like for passport covers. So Brexit hasn’t even achieved that .

1 Like

Well that really takes the biscuit,someone having the hypocrisy to complain about EU immigrants in Britain when he lives here full time as a EU immigrant in France.
I wonder if his French neighbours consider that he is spoiling their village by living there !

4 Likes

Cheers Teresa… just listened to him…:relaxed::relaxed::relaxed:

1 Like

Shame on you for keeping a cat in the bag Vero, I have reported you to the SPA :joy_cat::scream_cat:

3 Likes

Glad you enjoyed it. If you want a fun song find him on you tube singing The Pirate King.

1 Like

Our cats had a fascination for bags. Sat on the window ledges looking out for Waitrose delivery van. Sprang on the kitchen table to investigate unladen bags. Every time. Bagophiles.

No snide waitroseophobic remarks svp.

2 Likes

All those who are denied a vote because they have lived more than fifteen years out of the UK.
Even though they had been promised a change in the law in the tory Manifesto, it has not yet happened and they had no say in the referendum, which was to affect them more than most.
All of us who have lost our WFP because IDS fiddled the meteorological figures for France.

Just a friendly exchange of views? If you are capable of reading anything I wrote with fairness and dispassion you will see that I never criticised the European migrants into the UK. I took an example (the Lithuanian bakery workers) which involved no criticism of them. I merely reported the reasonable reaction of one person who suddenly found himself in a world in which his own language was not the medium of communication. I merely stated that if the numbers were too great the home population began to feel unease. Nor was anything the Brits did, in voting leave, intended to affect the rights of those already living in a settled state in the UK. Nor is there any evidence, to date, that those rights have been affected or curtailed.

That has didly-squat to do with our membership of the EU.

I find it very concerning anyone would refer to a fellow forum poster as an enemy

It shows that IDS did not like people who had chosen to live in other member states of the EU.
In his view UK pensioners in France were easy meat for his fraud.
He wouldn’t get away with taking WFP from those in Cornwall and Devon, but UK citizens who live in Brittany and Normandy, where the weather in winter is about the same, were fair game.