Brexit - here's a good read from a French insider's perspective!

Got it in one David.
Do people not follow the news?

True but the objective has been to agree an outline for the trade deal along with the withdrawal agreement.

1 Like

Perhaps it’s easy to see with a few pictures to help. The relevant bit is around the two minute part.

Jane… if you have been in France more than 10 years… your freedom to live in France is set in stone…

However, if you are worrying about perhaps not being able to settle elsewhere in Europe/Schengen… that does seem to be a grey area…

I apologise for that, but I would really like to know if you even thought of the consequences for your fellow citizens living in EU countries, or did it not matter?

3 Likes

Rather strange to say that Jane wasn’t born a European. The UK is in the continent of Europe. I’ve always thought of myself as European as well as British.
Being a member of the EU is something else.
I find it strange that a country that has sent it’s citizens all over the world for hundreds of years wants to close it’s borders to others based on a mostly dubious grasp of what the EU really stood for. None of the main protagonists (Farage, JRM, Johnson, Murdoch, Rothermere) will be affected.
My own children live and work in the UK but they and their partners feel very strongly that they have lost a great deal for the future.

2 Likes

Sorry David you are wrong. All of the terms and conditions of the Withdrawal are being negotiated all of the time this might be the Ireland border issue or future trade with the EU etc etc etc even today Teresa May announced progress has been made on future EU trade framework. We are not allowed to negotiate trade with other non EU country’s until we have left the single market. Maybe that is what you are referring to?

Whatever. You’re wrong as the next few years will prove, especially if your deal is a no deal. You obviously live in dreamland, enjoy.

1 Like

I should have said that the last thing I wanted to do was to start a bun fight (yet another one over Brexit that is). I’m a staunch remainer and the author of the book is, or was, as during his research and analysis he’s finally come round to understanding the leave idea and from what I’ve read so far, is swaying towards the idea of a hard brexit. I’m about halfway through the book and it’s a very interesting analysis of the situation and everything that the UK has to offer. I’m not taking sides or saying he’s right or wrong, just that it’s a very interesting and refreshing read when 99% of everything “Brexit” comes down to mud slinging, propaganda or out and out lies!
It is made even more interesting from our point of view in that it’s written by someone in the same situation, who has experienced the same stress of losing the rights he’s based his life and career on in the UK. Like me he’s going down the full-on route and taking the nationality of the country he now calls home (UK). I have done the same, yes it’s long winded and an admin nightmare, but I’ve jumped through all the hoops, been told unofficially (face to face interview/intéro) that there won’t be a problem and am now waiting for confirmation of that. I’m over a year into the process and should have the decision within another year. In an ideal world I’ll be French before the 29th March 2019 but that’s probably pushing things time wise. I’m sure there will be a pragmatic move put in place for all those Brits already here in France but appreciate that it’s stressful not knowing. Don’t forget that having over 10 years residency or French kids and various other situations give you the right to stay anyway.

1 Like

I know we are Survive France, but what about people in Spain and Austria, which are two of the countries I know which do not allow dual nationality?

3 Likes

For those Brits living in those countries there will need to be some real soul searching. And to be honest, if they’re not sure they’re prepared to give up one nationality for another then they wouldn’t pass the interview stage anyway, so yes, losing the current rights of freedom of movement is a big problem for them. :frowning:

1 Like

I admire your commitment to your new home in applying for citizenship. We hope to move to France before the end of the transition period, post Brexit, and still benefit from EU citizen status. However, if there is no deal agreed then we’ll just have to wait and see how the French Government decide to treat people from the UK wanting to settle in France.

Either way, I suspect I’ll want to follow in your footsteps and pursue citizenship if the likes of Johnson and Rees-Mogg get their way as the tolerant, open and liberal UK I grew up with will be a thing of the past.

1 Like

thanks for the apology Jane. No hard feelings. I was aware of the consequences for me, my husband and my fellow citizens so yes it did matter. But overwhelmingly, as I have stated many times on this forum, my vote was for the welfare and benefit of Britain in the future. For the next and subsequent generations. I was always aware that I would make life a bit uncomfortable for me out here and my friends have made it very clear that my vote has affected them too. I genuinely believe that this generation has to endure the immediate consequences in order to secure the future for our children and their children. I know you disagree with me, and I doubt we shall ever find common ground. But as long as we agree to disagree, politely, and respect each other’s right to hold a different point of view … well that’s good dinner party compromise isn’t it.

4 Likes

Whilst your brave and selfless sacrifice must surely be admired by many among your immediate family and friends I am puzzled as to how precisely your noble sacrifice will be “for the welfare and benefit of Britain in the future”? I look forward to being enlightened by your vision of the sunny uplands that await my daughter’s generation.

7 Likes

I suspect that folk on each side of the “argument” … are puzzled by the folk on the other side…

I doubt that there is any satisfactory answer…

Which just means the conversation goes round and round in ever decreasing circles… :hushed:

1 Like

In more positive news… it looks like the UK may be offered a 12 month extension to the transition period to the end of December 2021 giving us longer to sell our house and find somewhere in the Charente to buy and open our B&B.:grin::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Anything which helps get you here… and pursuing your dream… that has got to be good news… :relaxed::relaxed:

1 Like

I’m leaving your table.

1 Like

I hope that you will be able to follow your dream.

1 Like

I have a friend who voted Brexit. I was so upset but then I realised that she was exercising her right to vote and that actually the fault is with the politicians and msm who have deliberately stirred up division to fulfil their own goals ( which are certainly nothing to do with helping their fellow citizens).
I feel very strongly that Brexit is wrong but I accept that if I was a poor working class citizen with no hope of earning a decent wage or owning a house then I probably would think I had nothing to lose by voting leave.
As for the intelligent, comfortably off people who have voted for Brexit, I really am baffled.

1 Like