Brexit means Brexit means Doom and Gloom

not quite correct… AIUI WARP acknowledges your granted status as a resident (in this case France) but ETIAS is a required check on TCN arrivals throughout the EU. The residency rights are only conferred in the EU State where the Residency Permit was granted, it is not EU wide.

A TCN traveller might be staying in one State within the EU with the intention of onward travel to another EU State (ie France to Germany, Italy etc) and without the checks, could bust the 90/180 rule.

Extract from the above linked article:
"European Border and Coast Guard Agency, Frontex, which is responsible for Schengen border control, states that: “Those UK nationals who are beneficiaries of the Withdrawal Agreement will be exempt from Etias.

“They can not only reside on the territory of their EU host country, but also travel to other Member States of the Schengen area for a short-stay without an Etias travel authorisation.”

It is expected that EU residents travelling within the Schengen Zone will just need to show proof of their residency to border authorities to explain that they do not need Etias approval. "

1 Like

i’d prefer an official statement on that point… The Connexion is notoriously off target too often for my liking :wink:

2 Likes

1 Like

That’s another point i don’t follow, friend of ours with WARP maintains he can drive into Germany and more and as there are no border contols how would the authorities know when he crossed and if he spent more than 90 days there. As we know WARP only confers 90+ consecutive days in France. True or false?

The point you are trying to make is not clear…
However, I cross posted the following link in a different topic - does that help explain if that was what you were driving at?
WARP does not impose 90 consecutive days on the holder - it removes the restriction but the situation becomes unclear when the holder overstays the permitted absence under the terms of the agreement if it comes to the notice of the autorities.
link to cross posted topic

Max has it right again… why are these journo’s so friggin useless and not demanding more specific information - in this case “what EU legislation is preventing the UK from building more reservoirs”?

2 Likes

Sorry that was indeed not clear, what i meant was you can stay in your WARP host country for more than 90 days by virtue of it. But if you went to say Spain for 4 mnths as there are no border contols how would they know when you had left France which is your legal resident country.

ah, realise where you’re going now with that John.
I don’t frankly know. I guess it would be down to chance of local law enforcement observing the individual’s activity or them being involved in some incident or other perhaps - if they are even bothered.
As you know, you can be legally absent from your host country for a period but again, if there is no record of you having left Schengen then it might never be discovered or come to notice.
I have a friend who live in UK with a holiday home in Spain and he regularly informs me that the local law enforcement don’t seem to bothered in the Costa’s and even the airports seem to just waive people through without more detailed checks. They just want the English to spend, spend, spend as it helps their economy. They don’t have a residents permit :wink:

Yes - I guess the answer is you might well get away with it - just as we know Brits were living in France ‘under the radar’ before brexit, then had difficulty establishing residence when they came to need it.

A new Brexit problem in view: heavy thunder storms are ‘reputed’ to be crossing the English Channel later today with a view to dumping their load on northern France. Will they be held up by French passport control, will they have to show scientific paperwork to prove their origins, will they be taxed and at what rate, and is water TVA rated?

Will les pompiers have their pumps ready to clean up the mess or have they been sent south to clear up the portable barbecue mess. Will they go on strike to get money for extra pumps? Will the auxiliary firemen be available or are they all still on holiday?

If there is any damage, is it the fault of the British people who voted for Brexit?

1 Like

Oh, the irony…

1 Like

Damning analysis by Danish bank Saxo :

“What Brexit has not done by itself, Brexit coupled with Covid and high inflation have succeeded in doing. The UK economy is crushed.”

At last - a Brexit benefit! (but not for the UK) :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Companies have been shifting over since day 1, and I believe Denmark provided help to do so v early.

Surprise surprise - just about the only positive that might have come out of brexit is reversed…

1 Like

Ah yes, Guy Hands… that famous player in the field of… private equity.

cf my comments about how it’s time private equity transactions paid small transaction taxes based on their enormous funds flows to support the UK which gives them a very generous home.