Brexit will leave 2 million Britons in legal limbo abroad

Hi! You can go to www.registertovote.service.gov.uk and complete the postal side. The form is emailed to you by your old local council and you print it and send by post (snail mail).

I think you overestimate how much UK politicians care for UK citizens. The only reason policitians want to leave is purely so they personally have more power and/or get to be the next prime minister when/if Dave resigns.

All the talk of "we want to choose our own laws" is just to get the popular vote. The reality is alot of laws won't just up and leave because we do. If UK companies do business with EU entities, they'll still be bound by EU laws, so the net result will be pretty much zero for the ordinary person, and a heap of legal issues for businesses.

The only winners will be the lawyers!

Any the only reason all the papers are so pro-brexit as Murdoch once said "I go to Brussels and they ignore me, I go to the UK government and they do as I say"

The application form -yes you can get that on line. I think we have maybe a linguistic difference here. You will not get your voting form/ballot paper on line which is what I thought you meant.If only -then there would be no problems with getting the ballot papers on time!!

Did we not go through all this some time ago? I am sure I have heard about this before. Must be me but I thought we already agreed to be a part of this European thing. With democratic vote and all that stuff. So we don't like it anymore so fair enough let's leave . But who truly understands the detail of what is appropriate for the future? A great many views and by persons better read than myself on this site. Me thinks this is a decision for those elected to direct and govern but certainly not for a bear of little brain such as me ?

Well happily we have a system where no-one is required to vote if they do not wish to do so. Those who feel that they do not wish to take part, for whatever reason, may simply abstain from voting at all.

Do you have a little hat and drum Robert and march around singing Rule Britannia :-)

Oh yes. Absolutely my dear chap. Also Land of Hope and Glory, Jerusalem, and God Save The Queen. Perhaps it's a form of psychological RSI brought on by having sworn an oath to well and truly serve our Sovereign Lady etc... So what would you prescribe ? Anti-patriotism pills ? Of course I would rather starve than take them, or knowingly sell my country down the river for a few pieces of silver held out by a deceiving hand from Brusssels for that matter.

Robert Hodge seems to be a very bitter sort of Brit living in France, and pretty short of understanding of the possible effects of a Brexit. He should not assume that any person who has sworn allegiance to the Crown should be only interested in British interests either. In fact he misunderstands the fundamental reasons behind the union, whilst he is able to benefit from it by currently being able to live in Europe. The usual rag tag and bobtail of exiteers seem to want to scream and shout on this site too. Roll along 23 June. If they win they and we will have to learn to live with what in all likliihood will be the catasrophic effects. Talking to the Maire of my village this morning, as I do frequently, locals are really apprehensive as to the effects on the local market and property values if there is an exit. The school size would immediately be affected and a teacher post likely lost. 20% of properties in our 800 strong commune are owned by Brits, about half permanent residents. The London property market is already at standstill, possibly worse just on apprehension, according to the RICS. Manufacturing in the UK is inrecession again as of this morning. The conomies of all European countries need stability not fear. At least we should be grateful to be spared too much of Farage after 23 June.

Mr Cameron to be responsible for a possible Scottish independence? TOSH! The possible effect of Scottish independence have been very apparent since before Mr Cameron was out of shorts. BTW I strongly support a stronger UK but in Europe and committed to participating in Europe. With Ireland already strongly committed, and Scotland possibly exiting a UK after A Brexit, the next step would be more independence of Wales and the final dismemberment of the UK.

"Me thinks this is a decision for those elected to direct and govern ..."

That, I would submit, is a major part of the problem! Those whom we have elected have been, at best, disingenuous and, at worst, downright dishonest, from Edward Heath with his assurances that entering a Common Market would in no way effect the sovereignty of the UK (and, much later, confessing that he knew all along that a "federal state of Europe " was the goal) to the present incumbent of that high office who has (in my opinion) turned lying into almost an art form. They have their own vested interests at heart, not those of the country as a whole.

Dear David,

Actually I don't think that I have anything to be bitter about, and I happen to believe that I understand very well what the result of Brexit will be ----- The continuing sovereign independence of our country rather than being swallowed up into 'Europa'.

I don't mind being subjected to rather personal attacks on my character either, as I have always believed that when folks resort to such tactics, it is invariably indicative of their understanding of the weakness of their own position in the debate.

I find the view of your village Maire interesting, but unsurprising. Indeed it matches the view of many French people in my locality who are concerned that Brexit may well adversely impact their personal financial position. However, my own view is that the referendum should not be decided on personal matters of finance, that being a rather narrow and selfish view in my opinion. For me, the question is really all about whether we wish to amalgamate our nation with those of Europe to steadily work towards the formation of one single country of 'Europa' governed from Brussels.

I know that there are many people who believe that such a thing is a good idea, but I don't happen to share that opinion at this time. Such things need to come about by a movement of the people themselves towards such a goal, and this movement needs to come from the bottom up, rather than being imposed from above. The latter will never work in the long run.

One of the things that I will always defend is your right to both hold, and indeed express, a different opinion to my own. Is it really then appropriate that the thanks that one should receive for that stance is to be described as "bitter" or "The usual rag tag and bobtail of exiteers seem to want to scream and shout on this site too." ?

Can we not have a reasoned debate, during which different points of view are expressed, without resorting to a lowering of standards to that level ? Is that not what true democracy is all about ?

A somewhat petty response (even if now slightly edited!), John, if I may be so bold as to say so. I love my wife of almost 46 years - but I don't go around with a sign hung from my neck saying so, while singing love-songs directed at her!

I used to wonder why those who came to the UK were always classed as "immigrants", while those of us who chose to live in another country were referred to as "ex-patriots". I think it was someone on this site who explained the difference - an immigrant is one who has "burnt his boats"; an ex-patriot is one who retains a love for, and deep interest in, the welfare of the country of his birth! If that is true, then I am an ex-pat. My basic reason for being so is that I still have children and a grandchild living in the UK, as well as numerous other family members and dear friends. I voted against entry into the EEC; I voted against continuing in the EU; I shall use my vote to leave what is the most discredited political entity of modern times.

Note that I used the term "political entity". There appears still to be a lot of confusion between the geographical land-mass known as "Europe", and the political entity known as the European Union. It is the latter to which I, and many others (both living in the UK , and outwith) object. I do not wish to be governed by unelected, political has-beens. I do not wish to see my taxes being sent to an organisation that, reportedly, has now reached something like its 20th consecutive year with auditors not prepared to sign off its books.

I love Europe, and its rich diversity of people and culture. That is a totally different kettle of fish! By the way, if I do decide to take up your idea, I'll be playing the bagpipes, and singing "Scotland the Brave" - actually impossible to do simultaneously! - and wearing the kilt. (I also voted "No" in the SNP's separation referendum). Slàinte mhór!

John Locke- European Standards? I though that the exiteers argue that Britain should not have to comply with European Standards?

not at all... if you want to export to the US or any other country you have to obey their standards..with the EU the problem is even if you dont export to the EU (about 80% of companies) you still have to apply the regulations...

The "amalgamation" of the states of Europe has nothing whatever to do with the referendum. Yet another Brexiteer red herring, along with straight bananas and banning British bangers. (actually get my French butcher to make up the latter now!)

So if you want to export to a non EU country you have to comply with regulations applying to Europe? How come there are so many variants on say electric plugs alone? Building regulations in the EU and the UK are different and what is more applied quite differently. Different rules often apply to different EU countries. Vive la difference- vive Europe!

no you have to abide by the regulations of the country you are exporting to....for example you can not export "Kinder Surprise" sweets to US as it violates their health and safety laws..you cant export electrical goods to the EU unless they conform to EU standards...

Well said Sir. Indeed it is true that Edward Heath knew all about the loss of sovereignty involved in joining the Common Market, as the content of the letter written to him by the then Lord Chacellor, Lord Kilmuir in November 1960 clearly proves. Subsequent governments have continued with this deception to this day. As to the overall goal, well the logic is surely clear that when there is loss of sovereignty by one party, then there is a gain of sovereignty by the other party to whom it has been transferred, namely the body now known as the EU. The question then arises as to what is the point of gaining sovereignty if not to obtain control and thereby to rule ? The "Federal State of Europe" was the goal back then, and still is the goal now.

Sadly our politicians seem to always be pursuing power for powers sake. As you say, they care only about themselves and have little if any interest in doing what is best for the country, unless it happens to suit their own needs at the same time of course.

Anyone interested in reading Lord Kilmuir's letter can do so here : http://www.englishconstitutiongroup.org/damning-letter-from-lord-kilmuir-the-lord-chancellor-to-edward-heath-2/ though it is probably best to take the interleaved remarks in the red text with a pinch of salt. The black coloured text of the original letter does make interesting reading though.

Sorry but I have to disagree with you David on that point. To my mind the real question in this referendum is whether or not the UK wishes to be a part of the undoubtedly intended eventual amalgamation of the member countries of the EU into one single country.

The economic argument is at the same time, both a smoke screen to cover the real intent, and a device specifically intended to persuade folks to vote 'Remain' on the basis of perceived personal financial gain.

I agree that we should of course continue to trade with Europe through EFTA. I agree that we should continue to be friendly to Europe and support European security through our commitment to NATO, but I do not think that it is necessary to remain in the EU in order to be able to do that. The Common Market as a means of facilitating trade was a good idea, but now the EU is simply going too far, and too fast towards a federalist Europe.

So 40 years ago there was a grand plan to create a federal states of europe? That was so successful it's made living in britain such a nightmare. I'll have to vote exit just so it can be dismantled.