Brits cannot even transit France now

Macron has said it is ok for Brits to drive through France to get to their residences

If I’ve understood this correctly… Brits who are visiting in UK but live in an EU country… can enter France en route back to the EU country where they hold residency… in time for the New Year celebrations.

I am supposing that this loophole will close soon after New Year… (if not on the day itself) …

1 Like

The UK is now a non-EU country, why should France change its rules to accomodate non-EU citizens who aren’t French residents, who wish to travel through France?

3 Likes

You wouldn’t think so with the bleating that goes off everytime something that was a right before is lost.

1 Like

Permission to travel through now granted.

for a limited period…

The British press behave as though UK residents should be still entitled to all the privileges they had pre-Brexit and pre-Covid. I read the other day that a French gov spokesperson had said something along the lines that the UK hasn’t realised it’s now just another non-EU country, like Guinea or Senegal.

5 Likes

I am sure you knew what you meant, it was snafu. Why stop the UK people travelling? Change its rules? We have, subject to the paperwork and passport stamping been allowed to travel under a bilateral agreement?
We will later on have to pay for a £7. Visa and not outstay our welcome.

Corona tough titty

Not complaining, its the way it is as voted for by a bunch of silly b’stards. Just do as I am asked and enjoy france when I can. Just cant do a spontaneous visit any longer.
Why the comment?

Because the UK press that promoted Brexit are now whinging about one of its many negative consequences - nothing personal - you’ve just been shafted by your government

1 Like

Ah understood. Yes but pretty well shafted by a 52% of feckin idiots, some of whom now live in france having obtained quickly there permits and then also a lot of medical treatment.
Not worried particularly as long as I can ask for a long stay visa if circumstances allow in the future.

1 Like

Fingers-crossed on your behalf… :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Thanks Stella :heart_eyes:

I was sure that you were already full-time in France???

So was I but apparently not.

So near but yet so far, couldn’t work in France after brexit without jumping through hoops and one of my clients found me some work in London which was great for 3 years until covid spoilt that.

Maybe it’s because uk are France’s neighbours and want friendly relations not confrontational ones despite conspitatory theorists always believing the opposite!

I don’t blame the British people, even ‘the 52%’. @DrMarkH is right - the culprits are the UK politicians and media that repeatedly promised the British people that for trade and travel nothing would change - that they would, in Davis’ infamous words, be ‘exactly the same’. The proposition of the Leave campaign in 2016 was leaving the EU but staying in the EEA (effectively in the single market and customs union) - that’s what 52% of those that voted actually voted for.

4 Likes

@Geof_Cox …you are right, had the eventual out come of all the downside of leaving the single marker and customs union been included as an outcome of voting leave then the uk result would almost certainly been to Remain.
The big question is was this deliberately hidden and the move to leave them both only developed momentum as the Tory Party was captured by their right wing and the ERG?

2 Likes