Brittany Ferries.....will they survive

That’s changing, If you’re coming from the Rouen direction it’s all autoroute standard apart from the last 12km, and a new dual carriageway is under construction to replace that, Opening in 2022 I understand.

Do not forget if you phone, DFDS will knock 20% off your fare on Newhaven-Dieppe if your lead passenger is over 50 or 55 (I forget which)

Yes it’s been not worth paying for the autoroute from Rouen to Dieppe since before Covid, there’s maybe 10mins difference in journey times (if that).

The new road does come pre-equipped with speed traps though. So pay attention to any signs.

The 20% discount is for under-25s, students under 27 and those over 60, so you have a while to wait, Karen!

Where is this routier David?

It was defo no more than 55 till quite recently.

Yes - the A151-N27 route is toll-free, and my most recent trip (Tuesday 14 Dec) the Rouen-Dieppe leg took just under 50 minutes, keeping to all speed limits.

The A28-D915 route takes about 10 minutes longer. Or more if the tunnel just North of Rouen (Tunnel de Quevilly???) is playing up.

Dieppe, or Abbeville?
The Dieppe one was actually 2, next door to each other, La Chaloupe was open in the evenings for meals and the Brasserie de l’Avenir mornings until mid afternoon, but sadly a quick look on Google shows them both boarded up now and probably to be demolished. If by a miracle they do re-open they are on
Cr. de Dakar N 49.92109 E 1.08639 . Shame but the large parking area for wagons was docks land and steadily diminished over the years, but we still found spaces to squeeze in. :wink:

La Fleurie at Abbeville appears to be still in business, very popular and rightly so. That is on rte. de Hesdin N 50.12528 E 1.83020. I discovered that when my favourite, Chez Jo at Hautviller-Ouville, a little to the north on D1001, was finally run into the ground by new owners. I think that had been going since at least between the wars and I once wrote to the owner, also Jo, asking if I could write a history of the place. Never received a reply and next time I was there he had died. An interesting fact was that the little bloke who ran around very energetically as a waiter had in fact been a foundling. There. He was discovered in his baby clothes on the doorstep very early one morning. His mate, taller but equally speedy, transferred to La Fleurie where I managed to catch up with him one day, just, to ask where his little mate was. ‘Retraite’ was all I heard as he disappeared into the kitchen. :rofl:

All really happy days for me, sadly no more. ;-(

2 Likes

L’Auberge Fleurie in Abbeville, that brings back memories from many years ago, really good to hear it is still going :sunglasses::sunglasses: