Broadband Providers and Issues

We have had WIMAX from Alsatis for three years. Costs €43 per month for internet (6Mb) and unlimited calls, home and abroad and mobiles in France. It has been reliable and noticeably faster than our previous Free ADSL, which maxed out at just over 1Mb and which had begun to break down all the time.

Being in a zone Blanche 4G is not available here and it seems that you cannot make 4G phone calls to anglophone countries without paying. Is that right?

That isn’t at all unusual. When exchanges get upgraded, the old equipment is often left in place. When this happens, engineers don’t move existing customers onto the new equipment and so your speed won’t improve. New customers do get put on the new equipment, and that includes people that move providers. When I moved into my new house 10 months ago, the previous occupants only got 4 mbps, I new my exchange was FTTC and was only 70m away so I asked the engineer to make sure to put me on an FTTC line. He did, and I get 76mpbs !

Everyone’s mileage is different with telephone and wifi as their cars…
13yrs ago, i was on Orange dial up, then went to “Club internet” one of the first to offer the package deals… had a good service, which was then bought by Neuf… still had good service and good price. SFR bought Neuf and still had good service… then connection problems started… SFR demanded someone be with the modem. with a mobile phone… for them to talk you thru diagnostics… when you don’t speak French… it was challenging, to say the least… and there lies the rub… FT own the lines. Orange sell the connection… all others piggy back on FT/Orange… 2 yrs ago, i was having all manner of problems and switched to SOSH, who were offering a really good package at the time, but the problems continued with SOSH… Calling the FT/Orange English helpline resulted in them saying “you’re with SOSH, we can’t help you”… but the girl on the other end took sympathy with me and determined there was a line fault… and a week later, the whole line outside my house was replaced and i have the best connection ever… until the gales before xmas… My Wife is also a house sitter and frequents 5 different houses… and the connection varies wildly at each one. Sometimes a simple reboot of the modem cures the problem… sometimes a call to FT… You’ve asked a thousand readers here, and they will all tell you 1000 different stories… I am frequently asked by friends to solve their computer/ tablet/phone issues… The good thing about FT/Orange. their English speaking helpline can be mustard in sorting out problems… i have found them to be really helpful… others will have different experiences… If SOSH cancel the great deal i have with them… i would opt for Orange… October last year, i suddenly lost phone and internet… FT helpline said there was a serious fault with the line… they didn’t know someone had cut 250mts of 100core phone cable from the poles!! Orange were doing their best to give me 100gig on my mobile to keep me online… but being with SOSH… they were unable, even the Orange shop tried… but i pay SOSH… they had to give in… i was unable o contact SOSH… they operate online only… you pays your money, you take your chances?