Broadband suppliers your thoughts please

I’m seven klicks from the exchange and get about 1.2 MBPS. Eight is about the limit for any signal. At 3.3 youmshould bdomg alright Brian.

degrouptest will tell you, plus the engineers from Orange, at least the contractors they sent out, told us. So follow the link Simon is giving above and that will tell you.

Brian, can I ask how you worked out the length of the line and where you were on it? I would be interested to find this out for my little neck of the woods..

I keep an eye on Degroup test as well to see what offers are coming up Mike. It was their recommendation that make me switch to SFR. Orange made me pay for a landline and a broadband connection so, if I remember well, it was over 50 euros a month. SFR did away with the landline (even though their bill says I'm still not degrouped) and I pay 34.99 a month with a 10 euro reduction for the first year. I just use broadband and phone calls, I spend a lot of time on calls abroad, becayue my speed only hovers around 1m so useless for TV, streaming etc. I only really watch French TV and even not much of that. I have been impressed with the number of SFR wifi hotspots around the place.

Hi John

Thanks for getting back to me, can I ask please what you pay and what you get, I ran the test that Simon suggested, clicked the SFR tab for offer and it came up below, whilst good to start after 12 months quite a change, this was the cheapest tab on offer as far as I can see. Most seem to do a good starter offer as UK.

Thanks

MIke

16,99/MOIS 12 mois puis 36,99 €Engagement 12 mois

Agree with Simon, but we stuck with Orange because whichever provider we go to we are on a line that according to the test is 3335m long (that is to the last house on the line actually, we are 2184m down it) that belongs to France Télécom that cannot possibly deliver what any of them offer. Orange are one of the largest providers in the world yet the competence of their staff appears to be on a par with baboons (I don't wish to be seen as prejudiced against primate cousins though), scratching their heads and rears but incapable of much else. However, SFR promised what they cannot deliver, Bouygues Telecom made lots of clicking noises in their throats but tried to get us to move to them. The message is, very thoroughly test your line before you decide. If the line is bad then all you buy is broken promises.

I have to agree. We had Orange for years and found the service lousy. Whenever we dropped in with a problem they were long queues and the staff were bored and disinterested. Very much traditional telco fonctionnairss. Changed to SFR last year, they are probably as disinterested but the service is cheaper and better (by a small margin) and they’re in touch with offers every now and then. Plus I’ve found their wifi hotspots to be a lot more prevalent but that’s probaly area dependent.

Mike - depends what you're looking for really - just internet, or plus phone, or plus TV, or plus home surveillance etc etc.

Personally I wouldn't touch Orange France / France Telecom with a bargepole - purely personal view based on experience over many years.

As for UK Telecom - why ? They charge a premium and, as far as I'm aware (stand to be corrected), use Orange / FT as their carrier anyway. I'm an SFR fan - others may not be !

First thing to do is use http://www.degrouptest.com/ to check what's available at your address and then go from there.