Broody - and very grumpy

Maybe ridgeback x boerbel…??? He’s beautiful…it all depends on the prey drive doesn’t it…My Border Collies could be considered to have high prey drives especially my girl…she’ll snatch a bird out of the air given chance although she brings it to my feet and doesn’t eat it despite being raw fed…Spitz are hunters and spaniels are gun dogs…I guess the cross makes it difficult to predict behaviour even more so than pure breeds known for their high prey drives…??? I would probably have the same problem…My boy would probably usher the chicks along with his nose but I think my girl would pick the chicks up and bring them to me possibly killing them in the process without any intent to kill them…although having said that she’s quite capable of picking up stray kittens and giving them to me to deal with…none of what I’ve said is probably helpful and I hope you get the situation sorted one way or another…x :slight_smile:

1 Like

None of my cats has ever shown unsuitable interest in chicks, I also think a hen with chicks isn’t worth bothering, if you’re a cat and probably not if you are a nice dog.
My last hen was murdered along with our last 2 fairly doddery guinea-pigs by a foul fiend of a pseudo-dalmatian crossed with satan bitch who was visiting some people who live nearby.
Not a nice way to go for Henny-Penny and the Wiggies, who innocently let her get too close; she was a good candidate for a couple of cartridges but I couldn’t get to the shotgun fast enough. Loathsome creature.

1 Like

Oh that’s horrible. You must have been heartbroken/bloody furious. Mind you, I did laugh at the ‘satan bitch’ - brilliant. I don’t think I could put the 13 yo through that possibility really so I think the plan must be turf her out of there tomorrow, probably accompanied by screeching from both bird and woman, and see if she’ll snap out of it.

1 Like

Oh that’s awful…my second eldest daughter has two guinea pigs…they both live in the house…her first one is really laid back and goes to sleep down her sleeve…her second one is still a baby and is really nervous…Any cats I have ever had I would never have trusted with baby chicks…maybe because of the dead mice they deposited in my kitchen on a regular basis…I’m talking about Uk…I don’t have cats in Brittany…

1 Like

Here’s Aunt Bessie with her four chickies: John, Paul, George and Ringo. I know who the father is, I’ve just the one cockerel … but the mother? The hens all laid in the one place so could be anybody’s !

5 Likes

This is a fascinating thread. I had no idea that hens could be so complicated.

More chicken stories please :chicken::hatching_chick::baby_chick::hatched_chick:

1 Like

We have a similarly determined hen who has an unswerving mission to hatch, and commandeers anything egg-shaped and repels any entreaties to desist.

In her own interests I put her in chokey (solitary confinement) and remove her eggs to break her will - a couple days does the trick. Sounds cruel, but otherwise she would waste away pointlessly.

Three weeks ago we gave her a dozen fertilised eggs from a kindly neighbour, and à place on her own to sit on them. She has sat on them in a kind of trance state for those 21 days and only got off her clutch one to give hereself a dustbath and stretch her legs in the orchard. She has food and water in her safe haven

Today, I found three sweet chicks peeping out ftom her toasty-warm underparts. There still unhatched eggs, so shall wait and see…

She is truly une bonne mère. Nature knows best, and she was hatched to be a mother.

But there is a time for everything, and we can take a kindly hand in supporting it when it seems in the interest of man and bird.

3 Likes

I love my hens. They are fascinating creatures, intelligent and knowing. They love the outdoor life, and each other’s company. I would like there to be a hen (and rooster) thread, so chicken-lovers can enthuse and commiserate. Dogs get disproportionate mention, and display of images. Time for a #metoochicken thread?

2 Likes

(I don’t really know how I did it… but… I did it… :slight_smile: :slight_smile: )

1 Like

For some reason chickens jumped into my head as I read this article… I expect you are all glad that Chickens don’t have a full-set… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Just as well indeed they have no teeth!

Henny Penny, the aforementioned and late lamented, decided early on in her career she would not be with the other hens and joined in with the Wiggies (loose in huge garden enclosure, she could get in and out) the cats and the dog.
When a delicious bowl of goodies was put out theoretically for all to share (not the Wiggies, vegetarian) this is how things proceeded:
Henny Penny would do a bit of shouting and feather plumping by the bowl and help herself, first.
The cats would sit at a respectful distance of about a metre and help themselves once HP had finished and strutted off.
The dog, who had been sitting another metre behind the cats, would shuffle forward on her bottom and sit where the cats had been sitting.
Finally once the cats had had enough she would go and eat.
HP was a tyrant and slept in the dog’s basket with her, and often a cat, every night.
She spent a lot of time sneaking into the house as well, I’d find her cosied up in a fireplace, for example. Or on the kitchen table (bad).

4 Likes

Superb :rofl: She could be the absolute star of a children’s programme with all her shenanigans.

2 Likes

You should write a book Vero. The Tales of Henny Penny!!

1 Like

She obviously felt part of the family… :relaxed:

Neighbours sometimes have to bottle-feed a lamb … and those little bundles can soon take over the whole house…

Nature is wonderful… if only us humans would stop messing things up…:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Well another hen (Sage & Onion - we had two, Sage and Onion, and one died, and they were identical so I never knew which one survived hence it was renamed Sage&Onion) decided to sit on somebody else’s eggs which all hatched. Except one, named ChickPea, which was very poorly and I sought advice on the internet on a poultry site. “Stick it down your bra” was the universal response. Haha, I thought, very funny. But a woman said “I often go to Asda with several chickies in my bra”. OK, methinks, this might be a wind-up but let’s go. So stuck poorly cheeping baby chickie down the front of my jumper and it immediately stopped cheeping. My husband suggested I might have suffocated it so we had a look. Nope, it was snuggled up in the warm and dark and seemed quite happy. And there it pretty much stayed for a few days (not in our bed, of course) and earned the name ChickPea TitSnuggler living a long and happy life

10 Likes

Oh, I love that story :baby_chick::baby_chick::baby_chick::baby_chick:

1 Like

Too funny. Chickpea Titsnuggler is an awesome name :laughing:

4 Likes

:+1::+1::+1::hugs:

1 Like

Our Foster-hen now has four 48 hour old chicks who are surprisingly sprightly, alert and marching in and out of mum’s undercarriage and sampling some white bread, a bit of lettuce, and some sugary water. Mum is hungry but very grumpy about interference, so I’m backing off and letting her do her mumsy thing unhindered. She has a very triumphant gleam in her eye. I let her know how much I stand in awe of her ancient and inscrutable savvy.

What a pity that all children can not participate in this wonderful unfolding of nature’s unknowable purpose and mysterious method.

6 Likes