Buying books from the UK

Yes, exactly the same thing happened to me. My son needed some video games that I could only find on WOB when normally I order my books from Momax.fr and have never had an issue with customs or taxes.

They separated my delivery into two separate packages and for each one I had to pay at least 4 to 6 euros for customs. They mistakenly gave me the wrong book, and when they resent the correct book, I was asked to pay six euros for customs, and then, when the post office came to deliver the book, and mind you this book was worth probably nine euros, I was asked to pay another ā‚¬12 for taxes!!!

I have no idea what that even was for but I rejected it because obviously Iā€™m not gonna pay ā‚¬18 of fees on top of the book that cost only nine euros. I have complained to WOB but I havenā€™t heard back from them and I guess it sounds like maybe itā€™s not their problem, but I will never be ordering from them again, and I will go back to Momox, which never had an issue like this.

Does anyone know what that tax couldā€™ve been for?

It is a bit hit and miss, but it also depends on whether the sender did things correctly as well as whether the purchase falls within rules.

For good purchased outside EU basically depends on what the seller sets out in its conditions re paying VAT, customs and handling fees. If they donā€™t include these in purchase price then you pay VAT (TVA) from the first euro as this exception was abolished a while back, and handling fees to do the customs process. If over ā‚¬150 you pay customs duty as well.

The carrier can also charge a handling fee. A lot of charges called ā€œcustomsā€ are often handling fees.

Leaflet link below.

For stuff sent by private person its usually ok if customs form filled in ok. But recently had to pay ā‚¬10 to la poste as my sister had stuck on the customs label but forgotten to fill in the value (which was ā‚¬0!)

Two things.

Firstly, I donā€™t know why WOB havenā€™t replied. Iā€™ve had nothing but good service from them, and relating to the duty issue theyā€™ve been more than fair, refunding the duty as well as covering the cost of the original order. Give them a day or two and get in touch a gain is my advice.

As far as French duty/taxes/postal charges are concerned, only they can answer that, but good luck to you trying to get an answer out of them. I wrote to them explaining the problem, including photos of the IOSS labels, and asked them why I was being charged twice (duty and handling charge) for something that had been quite properly and visibly declared. I sent this by recorded delivery letter on 25th. September, and although Iā€™ve had confirmation that it has been signed for, not a peep from them in response.

The address for queries such as this one, if you need it, is Service Client, 99999, La Poste.

Just realizing that Momox is based in Germany so therefore in the EU unlike the UK. Basically confirms that I will just stick with Momox unless I have no choice!! Thank you :blush:

I was pretty upset in my message as I felt duped having paid now basically 15 euros for nothing! But I will wait and see what they say.

I had another interesting experience with books arriving from the UK this week, which I found distinctly strange.

I subscribe to a couple of UK county record societies in which volunteers examine rare-ish historical records (normally found in the record offices) and transcribe them. They are then published as books and arrive at random intervals but about every year to 18 months. One of these arrived 10 days ago and I was required to pay 17 euros in order to receive it.

Then a week later the next volume arrived from the same society - twice the size and weight of the first one, same sort of customs label - and it was just left in my post box with nothing to pay on it.

Shows it isnā€™t just the arrival times that are random :rofl: