Call me traditional but

Is it salop? I believe that’s the term for a promiscuous man and salope is for a woman. It’s certainly a word I used to hear when I was in France. I might have misunderstood of course!
Izzy x

1 Like

Yes they work but no it was something starting with a c - chareuse or something like that! He’ll be home soon so I’ll ask :grin:

1 Like

Gosh!!! Is John THAT old??? :scream:

2 Likes

My Grandmothers were born in pre independent Ireland. Brazen hussies were only invented when the British left and the Catholic Church came into power and ran the Country :joy:

Spot on Izzy. The real issue is the lack of gender in the English language.

1 Like

Very true John, but also one of the aspects that I found so difficult when learning French.
Izzy x

Slapper or slut.
All fine to me.
And the generic term cheating b-astard will do fine for me.

We know it goes on. But neither of them had the basic courtesy to keep it discreet?

2 Likes

basic intelligence more like… I mean, if he is (was) the SoS and didn’t know there was a camera pointing at the back of his office door, then you have to wonder at his lack of grip, confirmed of course by his performance (or lack of) in the job.

2 Likes

Well, I can’t argue with that Karen :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

A little late to the party, but may I suggest Delboy’s favourite term ‘Dipstick’?

Agreed. My daughter called me out for calling Boris “Doris”. I responded that it was just because it rhymed. However, on reflection, a male rhyme waasn’t nearly so funny. Try “Maurice” - not at all amusing. So, unconscious or whatever, there is a linguistic imbalance which we’d do well to avoid. Particularly if it implies that a female transgressor is to be condemned, while the male is a bit of a lad.

1 Like

Does everything need to be pc and overthought :unamused:
I’m surprised comedians can put a routine together nowadays.

1 Like

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me. I keep wanting to sing “the King is in the altogether”. Even if we think we know what’s wrong we daren’t say.

The short answer is ‘obviously not’ - if it does, boy are we in trouble!

A longer answer, perhaps, would explore why @JanWard ‘s interesting (and accurate) point about the way prejudice or past injustice can be encoded in apparently innocent language prompted this question.
Nobody here is stopping anybody using whatever words they like, are they? So perhaps the fear is that others will criticise your choice of words? - but surely that is their right? Is this a question of one interlocutor, under the guise of defending their own freedom to express themselves, trying to curtail others’ right to object?

This is certainly what goes on with the right-wing darlings all over the UK media claiming that they have been ‘cancelled’. They haven’t - as the fact that they keep telling us about it all over the media proves! What they really mean is that they don’t like what they see as ‘little people’ having the presumption to speak up for themselves.

Rather like the extreme right US Republicans or UK Tory MPs arguing vehemently against covid precautions because they restrict freedom, but voting for the much more serious restrictions in the policing bill (UK) or actually restricting the right to vote (US).
It’s a whole new take on the Voltaire attribution: ‘I disagree with what you say, so will try to stop you having any say at all, while defending to the death my right to say anything I damn well please!’

But what puzzles me most is why ordinary conversation is politicised by the right anyway?
To me, avoiding offensive wording, or terminology rooted in prejudice or historical injustice is not ‘political correctness’ - it has nothing to do with politics, and everything to do with simple old-fashioned courtesy, and care for the feelings of others. So not ‘overthought’ - just ‘thoughtful’.

1 Like

Sorry I just switched off there again, lectures tend to do that to me :wink:

1 Like

Last week I heard a left wing, PC, feminist stand up comedienne say how awful it is that in the 21st century men are still making MIL jokes, it certainly got me thinking but the main thought I had was, what the hell does she put in her act? :grinning:

That seems to remind me of something…
“The people of this country have had enough of experts”?
“Death to intelligence ! Long live death!”?

But can I suggest you skip the analysis, Griffin, and go straight to the conclusion: “not ‘overthought’ - just ‘thoughtful’.”

So are mothers-in-law the only possible subjects of jokes for you Tim?
I could suggest some others…

As an aside, l have always interpreted politically correct as “persistently considerate”. Nothing wrong with that!

1 Like

I’m a dad but am not offended by all the mockery associated with being a dad (dad dancing and poor dress sense etc), perhaps I should be then I can join the growing population on ‘Planet Woke’. :grinning: