Calling all budding DIY electricians

It woud be excellent if the electrician had a menu system, as the electrician for my total rewire in Bristol had.

From changing a single socket to a double, right thru’ to complete new consumer units, shower installations - todos - there was a menu. What you saw was what he charged. And the hourly rate was there, too.

The indy M-B garage I used had the same system. It was up on a board in reception, writ large - no haggling, no doubts, no “Well, we had a problem so that’s an extra £50”

The estate agent dealing with me is having electrical work done on her house, only 4kms outside Vire. I assume she is using someone trustworthy, competent and certified.

Surely, I’m not the only one who is a bit nervous about the phrase “DIY electricians” ? Maybe it’s because I have professional electricians in the family ?

I can’t understand what you are saying… do you think you won’t get a detailed quote from an Electrician in France ???

Like everything in life “DIY Electrician” covers a wide range of abilities. Doubtless there are many who have a decent grasp of the theory and practice, understand that there are regulations, that they should be followed and who make an effort to do so and who’s quality of work approaches that of the professionals.

The main difficulty is the small things that come from doing the job day in and day out and keeping constantly up to date with regulations rather than having to swallow them whole in a short space of time.

Then there are the dangerous sorts who either are unaware of regulations or don’t see why they should apply to their own work, and are prepared to cut any corner to get the job done cheaply.

Some of these even work in the industry, though you wonder how they get their “Part P” accreditations - YouTube is full of decent electricians looking at installations and going “WTF?”

Finally found out that we’re on a Three Phase setup.

Had surveyor come round today to give the house the once over and confirmed it’s solid as a rock but the wiring does need looking at. Will be making some calls in the future to get some quotes on a full re-wire.

Glad this post had gained traction. Some great discussions being had. Amazing input.

2 Likes

A friend of mine has just been quoted 10 k for a rewire in his property in Confolens if this is any help. I wired up my workshop with 3 phase from the house and took the single phase off that for lights and normal sockets leaving a 380 volt socket for the plasma and welders, leaving the junction boxes open to be checked and the actual connection down to a local sparky. But then i have no technical or scientific knowledge.

Sounds about right.

2 Likes

Handy tip: if the estate agent who has been ‘holding your hand every step of the way’ [and she has been and is :heart_eyes:] is having work done on her house, she’ll likely have engaged a sound Sparks.

And so it seems she has because when I put his devis to my landlord, an electrical engineer who did the lot on his house, he said, “It’s a really good price. Go ahead.”

I’'d already put the 30% down-payment cheque in an envelope.

Now I need the same again with a jobbing builder and a plumber.

Another tip: If you go looking at 'electrodomesticos’ on sites like Darty, BUT, CDiscount, Boulanger, look out for examples of items on your shoping list that are ‘also offered’ at much reduced prices. Usually down the bottom of the blurb in tiny typo but can be big savers. Customer returns, ‘aesthetic marks’ … all fully g’teed.

Some items well above your max may be marked down well into your budget range, so go on up the prices because a 400€/500€ something may be on for 250€/350€.

For eg a Phillips OLED 65" TV, regular price 1599€ became mine for 1106€, fully g’teed - customer return. Indesit fridge/freezer usually 399€ > 259€ [‘aesthetic marks’] - 12 months g’tee.

And who needs Black Friday? Indesit lave-linge marked down from 406€ to 249€ and a Samsung induction hob marked down from 399€ to 249€.

2803€ electrodomesticos for 1898€. My old dad would have been pleased …