Can you buy-into the French pension scheme?

Maybe there is a pension arrangement between Switzerland and France. When I lived in Grenoble many moons ago people used to live on the French side but work in Geneva because salaries were far better in Switzerland and taxes far lower in France. Apart from a special agreement I’d suspect a 30 month payback on a 21k “investment” wouldn’t be something the French state would be too keen on.

I’ve a pal who’s a judge, he retires at 70.

If the sentence had stopped after “in my profession we are allowed to work until 70” I would not have found it shocking. However it continued

which seems to me shockingly unfair. Since the years it took to get qualified does not seem to be have been reflected in the rates of pay since vero describes it as a “pittance”, it seems insult to injury to then “allow” them to work for longer to compensate.

I see no problem working to 70 if it is an entirely free choice and not driven by circumstances. Although especially for a judge, hopefully there are regular medical checkups to make sure there are no signs of Alzheimers etc.
This has reminded me of the judge in Engrenages, great character.

2 Likes

I’ll update this posting when I get more info/details re. my friend’s proposal/plan. Thanks to all of you for your feedback.

3 Likes

We loved Engrenages.