Canelés - how to eat them?

Where is it you live, again? :rofl:

Too far Angela, too far :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: and to be honest for some people they wouldn’t be considered expensive but we like to find good priced wines that we still like as we dont’ have extra pennies to splash out!

It was an interesting story how we got them, hubby went off to this chateau somwhere between Bergerac and Bordeaux to buy a motorbike (some 70s thing he thinks will go up significantly over the next years) - I think it was €250 or somehting, he then came back with a 6 box each of red, rose and white at about €15 / bottle! He as moving out and clearing out, meant we got a VERY cheap motor bike and some very lovely wine!!! I hope the white keeps OK to be honest as thinking about it it must be about 4 years or so ago now.

Yes, we do… today’s treat was a drink…
First of all… I’m asked if OH will be allowed to taste it as it is very strong alcohol… a mix of fruit, herbs and spices.
I replied that he could sip it and I’d gulp the rest… :wink:

Her son was bellowing “pas d’alcool” … so I had a sip first, just to be sure before I let OH loose on the whole glass.

Good grief… the ginger content grabbed my tonsils and tied them in knots…
Never noticed any alcool after that…
OH had a sip, choked and handed back the glass for me to finish.
I was very brave… :rofl:
Still not sure whether or not there was alcohol in it… the ginger disguised everything else, but I felt a golden glow come over me… and the afternoon passed in a trice… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

It’s a French dessert which uses bread (stale I think)… raisins, eggs, rhum and heaven knows what else…

similar idea to an old-fashioned UK bread-and-butter pudding

but le pudding cuts nicely, like a soft cake… and my b & b pudding is definitely more of a soufflé and a bit out of control … when it comes to serving…

1 Like

I thought the pimps preferred to deal with the financials themselves :rofl:

1 Like

Yes. They are best when cooled to just warm or reheated slightly. They are not that nice if too hot or really cold.

2 Likes

A quick topic reopening.

The last time I bought cannelés I obviously did not read the instructions as I served them cold out of the packet and was not impressed.

Thanks to this thread, I bought a pack this week. I warmed them for 10 minutes at 180, then let them cool for about 10 minutes. What a transformation! A real contrast between the crispy outer layer and the unctuous interior. I shall be buying more of these…

Thanks for all the hints…
Brian

6 Likes

So OH is right! :grin: That’ll please him!

2 Likes

If you can afford the horrendously expensive moulds (and I understand that they have to be metal as silicon doesn’t have the right properties for cannelés) you could try making them :rofl:

There was one particular chef on youtube whose explanations seems very plausible and I fancied having a go but the costs of the moulds… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Vide greniers are back…

1 Like

Ah yes, of course - good idea! Not sure they’ll have the right moulds in Normandie but you never know…

Same, never heard of them. Must be regional. I’m in eastern France maybe that’s why.

This link talks about the origins of Canelés and reports on the “2018 Paris Awards” for the best Baker in Paris…

Seems Canelés “arrived” in Paris 30+ years ago so they should be available to folk “up North” by now…

this is the link to find out how to make the best (Award-winning) Canelés… from the Top Chef himself…

So I am (bit further south than you) and see them in bakeries. They don’t exactly stand out…

Maybe cancels are the new madeleines. Bite into one and it evokes memories.

What I wouldn’t do for a haddock and chips straight off a chippy van now…

We learnt how to make a decent fish and chips, just using a 15€ Fryer pan (not an electric thing, just a pan with a basket). And when haddock backs are on promo we indulge…

1 Like

Ah Jane I’ve just realised what they are, brown, made in a small mould. Never had one though!

Tastier than they look!