Canelés - how to eat them?

that is really good to know. Weird though as I can’t see anything about the slow cooker option on the Instantpot website, just fry / pressure / sous vide???

Do you find it as good as a stand alone slow cooker in slow cooker mode?

I’m getting quite keen! Just looked on LBC and plenty of new or ‘used once’ to save lots of money! i think this will be an autumn purchase!

ETA I love this thread - caneles to fish and chips to airfryers to multi-cookers :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: between buying the fish and the multi-cooker I think this will be the most expensive thread ever on here :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

1 Like

The electric car thread has proved quite expensive for us :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I do it pretty much the same but a bit more scientifically.

For basmati - weigh rice (60-75g/person), soak, drain excess water, tip into pan (which must have tight fitting and ideally transparent lid) with 1.5x the amount of water (e.g. 300ml for 200g rice), put lid on pan, bring to boil, turn heat down to minimum simmer, wait until rice is *just* “sloppy” - i.e almost all the water is absorbed. Turn off heat, leave for 5-10 minutes.

It sounds more involved than Véro’s method but is actually very simple when you get used to it.

1 Like

What did you get?

Ditto :yum::relaxed:

I do it even more simply. 1 mug of rice, (basmati) rinse until clear (over 25 years ago had a Chinese friend who was sooo impressed, he’d never seen a whitey Aussie rinse rice!). Add to pan, add 1.5 of mug in water, fluff with fork, bring to boil (fluff if you remember). hen boiling turn off, fluff, leave 10 minutes or so, fluff, perfect rice every time!

2 Likes

Waiting for quote on charging point in our house before confirming…

Back on the subject of canelés - I had obviously been harping on at home about what a good idea they sounded so my partner bought me some (staggeringly expensive!) moulds for my birthday. I just have to try making them now :rofl:

Does anyone have a tried-and-tested recipe or shall I just go with the most appealling-looking on-line one?