Cannabis - can we have an informed and gentle discussion on this, please

Cannabis should definitely be legalised for medicinal use.
Those who say it has side effects do not seem to realise the problems that the potential users already have.
It is effective for MS .

2 Likes

Well, there’s been some interesting information
 thanks everyone.

On the face of it
 if there are medical benefits, I reckon it should be available via prescription. (maybe it already is). Prescription does not mean it automatically gets paid for by the State/Mutuelle
 but it does mean it’s distribution is somewhat regulated/controlled
 and gets to those folk who really need it.

I’m wary of making any drugs available too freely
 and we are supposed to be cutting back on other stuff
 tobacco/alcohol
 even sugar
 for the sake of our health
 :zipper_mouth_face:

I watched a very informative The Wright Stuff (UK Channel 5) this morning on this very subject.
On the panel was a GP who explained a few things about the various derivatives of what is commonly called ‘cannabis’.
The ‘street’ version - skunk - is definitely not the sort of stuff people should be using. It’s highly addictive (quite a lot more so than the whacky baccy so favoured by the sandal wearing hippies of the 60’s) and should be avoided at all cost.
The problem as I see it is that to give carte blanch legalisation would send out the wrong message.
There were some fantasy tales from the Tax Payers Alliance in particular who suggested vast savings to the NHS and the Justice system by decriminalising it citing dubious evidence from some US States.
No. keep it within legal boundaries; if it really does help, medical grade substances should be placed under proper supervision but giving a wide spread authority to use it would be very wrong.

3 Likes

if France would legalise it, the profit with taxes would allow us to vote for Frexit huhuhu :smile:

I’m quite surprised at the level of cannabis use in our quiet little towns in the middle of nowhere, but it’s done privately and rarely causes problems.

The strength of the skunk these days is wicked, about 10 years ago I was offered a puff, and after a couple of draws was reduced to a gibbering wreck - always used to take the piss out of 2 toke tommies
:drooling_face: Not had any since

I’m from Colorado, and five years into legalization, the doomsday scenario has simply not panned out. Yes, there have been more traffic stops, but fewer teens imbibe than in 2012 (maybe they’re all vaping, which is a lot scarier), the precautionary/security systems seem to be working, and there are proceeds flowing into schools and nonprofits. On a personal note, as the mother of a young man with Crohn’s disease, I can tell you that his use of marijuana when first diagnosed back in 2001 was a HUGE help in his regaining his appetite. He had wasted down to 120 pounds on a 5’11" frame and couldn’t eat anything for fear of cramps and diarrhea. It was a short-term aid that didn’t result in prolonged or addictive use and, 17 years later, he manages his symptoms by avoiding stress, watching his diet, staying fit, and eating yogurt every day. After a referendum vote last year, we are moving forward with legalization here in Maine, where I now live.

2 Likes

That’s an interesting response
 thanks Nancy.

We had 3 cousins in Canada
 and all 3 suffered with Crohns. The elder 2 had operations
and seemed fine
 but we spent holidays with the youngest, who took loads of pills several times a day, rather than having an operation
 He eat like a horse and looked thinner than a blade of grass as well as being tall for his age.

Sadly, for unrelated reasons the elder 2 have died, but the youngest, now early 60’s, has obviously managed to sort something out, as he looked quite chunky in his last photo.

Glad to hear that your son has sorted his Crohn’s into something he can handle
 :relaxed:

Perhaps someone at Sud Ouest reads our Forum
 this is in the paper today

Thanks , Stella. Fingers crossed that he can hold off on medication until absolutely necessary. Sometimes the side effects can be worse than the cure!

Recently there was a little boy who was having multiple seizures a day and who had been in Holland and using cannabis which gave him huge relief.
In UK he had to go to government for help and I remember Theresa May saying that they hoped they could give his doctor permission to prescribe in a month’s time.
How many more potentially lethal seizures was that poor boy condemned to endure because of such an inflexible attitude in UK?
I can’t remember hearing anything more about this story, does anyone know the outcome?

1 Like

Shouldn’t be controversial, in itself, really.

After all medical uses of morphine (and a whole lot of other controlled drugs) are legal and have been for a long time.

4 Likes

I sometimes think that political opposition to everyday cannabis use is its effect in reducing anxiety. Pervasive widespread anxiety is a great stimulus to retail sales, buying stuff brings relief, but the relief is short-lived, a bit like the deep relief felt by a smoker on lighting up.

So mildly but chronically anxious types need a regular retail fix. “Retail therapy”. Dope-heads don’t need to traipse round shops to chill.

I may, of course, be very wrong.

Hello peopledom
From what I know, which isn’t much, medical canabis isn’t dispensed by a pharmacist in the form of a handful of Bob Marley Specials. Certain canaboids are isolated from specific plants and administered by oral drops, atomized or possibly vaped. You DONT get stoned. It’s development is still at an early stage. I stand to be corrected on this.

2 Likes

Portugal seem to have the right idea.

2 Likes

Portugal’s drug policy has clearly worked but that doesn’t mean the same type of approach would work in the UK.

1 Like

I smoked it on and off for about 40 years so I speak from experience. As Mark Robbins says, legalising it will make no difference to those who are likely to go on to harder stuff regardless. Cannabis is not in itself addictive, or at least not the stuff I have used but a real risk exists if the source of supply is via some sort of underworld dealer that has more profitable wares to peddle. Way back when, a friend of mine fell in with a bad crowd that had access to heroin. He tried it and became addicted for a time. He warned me against trying it even once. “It will make you want more”. Having said that in recent decades there have been new strains of weed developed that are so powerful I feel they could well be leading users into dangerous situations. I don’t advocate its use by anyone under 18 years or so. I’m not convinced that legalising it will cause a huge increase in the number of users. I doubt many people that have fancied trying it since the fifties were put off by the fact it was illegal in fact for many that probably added to their curiosity. Once enough people tried it they knew the old hype about it automatically leading us on to hard drugs was just lies because unlike tobacco, it was easy to grow your own, and big business couldn’t make a profit out of it and governments couldn’t tax it. One final thought. I would rather see people smoking a little ganja than swallowing some new designer drug that someone knocked up in their bedroom. People die from stuff like that.

5 Likes

I agree Richard
smoking it wasn’t for me but I knew quite a few people who smoked it and never even considered moving on to anything else
I do also know of several who started on prescription drugs and moved on to heroin and then methadone
I also know several people who have cured their own cancer with cbd oil

But when we’re talking about medicinal cannabis
and cannabis oil and the difference between hemp oil and cannabis oil and a mixture of both then I think we’re talking about something else entirely
smoking it has been shown to help multiple sclerosis sufferers but also if smoking it for medicinal purposes then much of the medicinal effect is lost

We have an endocabbinanoid system
we have receptors
our physical bodies are receptive to this plant

When a “government” demonises a companion plant and places it in similar categories to heroin and cocaine and spice and ecstacy then we have a problem

In the city where I was born there are often reports of “cannabis farms” in attics and “unknowns” diverting the electric supply and fires and damage to rented property and all sorts
it doesn’t help

Several times over the last 4 years we have considered raising the money to send my daughter to one of the states in the USA who have legalised/decriminalised cannabis
but it’s such a minefield

How much better would it be for the medical community to work hand in hand with the cancer sufferers and sufferers of other ailments who want to try cannabis oil but are prevented from doing so by the outdated demonisation and criminalisation of a plant
,???

1 Like

There have been similar initiatives in the city where I was born in uk
,last time I was there which thankfully wasn’t for very long I walked my Collies past council caravans set up just outside the city centre where young people could enter for a chat
I walked them past the elderly who didn’t speak English sitting on the streets on plastic garden chairs pissing their trousers
the latest concept of care in the community
I was walking my Collies through streets full of discarded needles and cocaine packets and only the great goddess knows what else was in those nightly discarded plastic bags
I was subject to death threats against both me and my border collies by “ethnic minority” out of city students studying law

Nightly I met lovely people walking their dogs trying to shield them from the insanity

The article about Portugal doesn’t seem to be discussing the therapeutic benefits of cannabis oil on cancer autism epilepsy etc
???

Let’s get high !