Capricorne (long horn beetle) treatment

I went through this problem 5 or 6 years ago, The guy I used treated the whole house and gave a 25 year guarantee. It wasn’t too expensive either 1100 euros. No sign of them since.

Wow, I’ve explained many times that there is no such thing as a 100% guarantee in Pest Control.

I’ve never heard of a 25 year guarntee, he must have T&C’s as long as your arm. Guarantees are like VW emission testing in “ideal conditions”. If the conditions are not ideal then tuff on you!

It’s also bizarre that the pro stuff offers an active life of 10 years, but bricolage products offer 20 years.

I never offer a 100% guarantee for wood treatment, but I give a certificate/attestation that the work was carried out professionally and state the products used. I have never had recourse…touch wood!

1 Like

Does anybody know if Xylophene “goes off”?

I have a 20 litre can of Xylophene which is about 5 years old.

I brush painted some on barn timbers today and it didn’t seem as pungent as I remember.

I’m not sure the chemical itself “goes off” but the water content will possibly have evaporated a bit …and thus you might need to apply 2 coats to ensure good coverage …

I’m sure others will chime in.

Thanks @Stella hopefully @Rob_le_Pest will know.

1 Like

I found a product summary which says 12 months - 5 years might be pushing it.

Mind you the summary is for the industrial version - not sure if anything sold retail will be the same formulation - eg this version seems to be a mix of Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone which is not the same at all.

1 Like

Thanks @anon88169868 - probably time to buy some more.

Hello, I’m enjoying the NZ climate at the mo. Back to the cold soon. Can’t stop, off to the beach!:crazy_face:

You are still there! I thought you were back weeks ago! Enjoy it.

Well, that was fun, North of the North, Cape Reigna to the south of the South, Slope Point.

Been back a few weeks, now playing catch up.

Rob