Car Insurance - UK Driving Licence

Things are changing all the time. It was just a few weeks ago I read about the change for UK driving licence holders and I am not surprised the official govt sites are not updated yet. But I think this is happening - here is one report which google provided but I did read it in more than one place: https://anglophone-direct.com/exchanging-your-uk-driving-licence-for-french/

Regarding the topic drift. I am not beyond pedantry but the problem is that many people are understandably confused by what they need to do and when so what may seem like innocent topic for those familiar with the different topics, can become really confusing for those seeking information for the first time. Like this further drift, for example, although it is a little more linked to the original question, since you can get French insurance with a UK licence but you must change it for a French one either within 12months from arriving or from the end of the TP, whichever is later.

Nerdular input follows - you see SP on plates all over, inc plates without ES on - means Servicio Publico: trade/commercial vehicle.

But Graham is right. I do use it instead of ES.

Next!

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your advice.
We went to AXA who refused to give insurance with a UK licence but have had success with Allianz so thank you all and have a happy and safe Christmas

1 Like

Strange Jan. I think it depends on your broker. I have insurance with Axa on my French registered car which I bought here and also on my UK registered car which we are currently re-registering here in France. And yes, for those sticklers spotting the anomaly, it seems I should not have been able to register/insure a French car here but I did not knowingly mislead anyone and was unaware of this restriction until very recently (non residents not being able to register a car here). In fact I have not taken the trouble to look it up since hearing this as we are in the process of regularising everything anyway. UK reg car kept and insured in the UK, French car kept and insured here - seemed normal to me.

All of this on a UK licence, a copy of which of course I had to provide to AXA so it is not as though they are not aware. I certainly don’t recall even being asked about whether I was resident or not - prior to Brexit it all seemed so easy and in my mind I will always be European first and whatever accidental nationality I may have second.

For example:

https://www.thelocal.fr/20201130/british-citizens-in-france-told-they-will-need-to-change-their-driving-licences

I’ve just been told I don’t need to do anything via @Stella in another thread!
Is it any surprise that we all get stressed trying to sort our lives out with so much contradictory information? :sob: :woozy_face:

You have already said you like to wait until the last possible moment…

at the moment you do not need to do anything… :roll_eyes: More info will come out as the government decides how it wants Brits in France to proceed…

You will note scenario 1) you can exchange (it does not say you must)

1 Like

Well why don’t you go to official sources,rather than asking questions on an Internet forum if it is so stressful ?

1 Like