Caravanserai

Peter, if you wouldn't mind phoning the shop and finding out when it's open, we could confer about day, time etc. I've got a busy fortnit in prospect, but a little calmer after that. Tell him not to close in the meantime!

I'm often in Limoges so it's not a problem for me. I just need to know the day in order to make sure i'm around and also to check the shop will be open etc

Hi Peter. Thank you for the tip about the shop in Limoges. Sounds wonderful. I'll have to hop on the train and go and have a look before he shuts up shop. Could we meet up if it's not too far from chez vous?

Brian and Jeremy, I read your dialogue about Miles, McLaughlin and Santana with great interest. That would have been interesting, to get all three involved. 'In A Silent Way' was one of three Miles LPs I brought back on the plane from my second trip to New York. 'Kind of Blue' was one of the others, and that remains my favourite, even though it's a bit old hat by now. I can understand, though, why you love 'Silent Way' so much, Jeremy. And 'Astral Weeks', of course, which is coming soon to a posting very near this cinema.

Pity, I reckon you would drool over some of the jazz discs !

Not really my cup of tea but impressive all the same.

Bit far, pity. About the same for you Mark, I think.

I went to a disques vinyles fair in Bergerac last year. I found nothing I wanted but there was a bloke flogging a load of 50s stuff that had things like virtually complete collections of Tommy Steele and Marty Wilde!

Hi Mark and anyone else within driving distance of Limoges.

There is a long established record shop selling vynyls of all types in the centre of Limoges. The chap has a mega selection of all types of music tho' mainly '60 & '70s rock etc etc plus a big jazz selection. He is retiring soon and is trying to sell his thousands of records to dealers with whatever is left to be sold online. He also has a decent classical selection with each disc selling for a few euros.

I've picked up some long lost gems i'd either swapped or sold years ago so it's a trip down memory lane too.

Details available if anyone is interested.

I don't have it, but know the album. The line up was awesome, Wayne Shorter's sax and MacLaughlin's guitar are huge. I might just download it for a listen whilst writing next week... Bitches Brew was my first Davis, like much of the rest of the world...

Preferred roast chicken BM but yes you've got the idea.

Also Brian, I agree about Mile Davis....In a Silent Way would be my favourite...I used to chuck it on the cd player every night and drift off to it...magic.

I think Peter means beef, lamb or something like that when he had a listen after the pub of a Sunday lunchtime ;-)

Yes Brian, I too was not (and still am not) into experimental/improv jazz but the more you hear this stuff the more you seem to love/get it....(and, Peter, I wasn't even into the Mary Jane) .....many years ago I share a flat with five others (three of them named Annette, but that's another story) and one of them played Astral Weeks constantly over and over....it annoyed me intently at the time as I did not particularly like Van the man....nowadays it is just about my favourite album of all time....it's a crazy old world.

I too still have the original copy Jeremy. The vynyl sounded great when accompanied by a joint or after a few pints but stone cold sober it does very little for me nowadays !

Yes Jeremy. I have a 1973 vinyl of it yet to be digitised. I wish that Santana and Maclaughlin had got Miles Davis in on the act, kind of beyond Devotion (also a vinyl copy to do...). Each did stuff together but the three of them would have been sublime. A Love Supreme is fantastic and doing a gospel number like Let Us Go Into The House Of The Lord was risky but how the two bands with the lead men pulled it off is pure genius. The strange thing is that I am not really into that kind of experimental, improvisational jazz but it was spell binding and somehow got through to me.

Actually, if y'all like Caravanserai try the album Love Devotion Surrender - Santana/John Maclaughlin....takes a bit of listening to but there is some wonderful stuff on it if you persevere.

The best Santana track is Treat and it is just that.

Brian, not me I’m afraid. It was my friends older brother who recommended we see the 'Hogs because of the JLHooker connection. I’ve been reading about Quadrophonic as I didn’t know a great deal about it and yes there were many different formats so its demise was guaranteed really. One interesting piece of trivia was that the BBC broadcast a Cliff Richard concert in Quad…how did I miss that one?

Yo ma man, Jeremy! I can't play a single note either. According to Stevie Winwood, though, it can be an advantage for musophiles.

Quadrophenia! Where is my one quad record by Graham Central Station? Not chewed in the 8-track nor used to death like 'Abraxas'... Hmmm. Must've sold it. So it goes... Peter, a Chinese bootleg of 'Abraxas'. Much respect! You can dine out on that one, surely.

Just the greatest Santana album amongst many....like you I absolutely love this whole masterpiece....although I'm not unfortunately musically gifted (actually, come to think of it I'm not anything gifted) I can play most of the tracks over in my mind from start to finish. Love it.

My 8 Track basically ate anything. It was the fore-runner to the waste disposal system !

******* machine !!!

My Abraxas is well and truly used. I bought the CD a few years back because of that.

Oh yes, Q8 from the Lear Jet bloke. One mate gave it a go but the cassettes twisted and more or less self-destructed too easily so he whacked it with a heavy mallet and binned the bits and pieces. I don't know that I actually ever heard anything on it though, so no idea about the sound. Don't film makers use it for film sound tracking still though, it enhances stereo effect or summat like that I think.