Cêpes in the Forest

What a lovely blog you have Sandra.

I managed by going to your blog address. The link in the first two posts kept sending to e-blog log in page.

It was such a shock to see it standing proud on it's own there. Last Autumn I took loads of photographs of fungi in my lane - posted in my blog then - but didn't eat any as I didn't know whether they were ok or not. I need my own mycologist here. Incidentally, did you manage to view by double clicking in the end?

That is a beauty Sandra - just about one of the best I've ever seen and so very fresh.

You may be lucky with the local pharmacy having a good knowledge but they have no specific training as I understand it, so tend to err on the side of caution. I'm sure I've thrown away fungi which were edible after the pharmacy had ruled.

Nick, it works for me if I double click it rather than copying and pasting the link in the address bar. However, my blog is:

http://livingin22.blogspot.com and it's the latest post.

Janice, that is the best advice. If in any doubt, ask at the local pharmacy.

Louise, please do try it and let us know how you get on. There are a whole load of other recipes too. Very versatile this mushroom.

My OH adores cêpes and we often go mushroom hunting in the autumn. So far, extreme lack of rain. Last year I found some in August as it was very wet. Perhaps I will try your recipe, as the omelette is very dull!

My Austrian grandmother taught me about mushrooms in Epping Forest, near London - a very long time ago! There are many varieties of edible Boletus - and others. Remember that here in France you can take your haul to the local pharmacy and they will confirm if they are edible. Generally a good idea if you are not an expert or don't have an expert to go with you on your mushroom hunt!

Good luck!

Hi Sandra, I can't get through to the page unfortunately - any chance you can post your pic on here please ?

See my photograph of a cep in my neighbour's woodland on Saturday. It's in my blog

http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=3712228825523508388#editor/target=post;postID=3583297803345783263

It had a little bit knocked out of the front, but I understand it tasted very good along with some very young girolles they picked at the same time. Their woodland is predominantly beech, sweet chestnut and oak.

Yes, it probably is that. I can localise the general area and then send in my Cepes expert to catch the little fellow.

Faulty detector, demand a refund or refit!

I do tend to be able to detect the fungal smell, but I rarely find the mushroom that goes with it.

I tell you without much exageration, my in-laws are like nasal radars. They kind of sniff and simply go for it. My Algerian bro-in-law must have had the transplant because he is the maestro. Two trees into woodland and he bends down and picks. I wander through an entire forest on hands and knees and nothing.

I can get passionate about most food. I can never find them either. When I go back with my pickings my poor OH always shakes her head in dispair

I am blessed being wed to the fungii detector in my life. People who grow up on the southern slopes of the Alps have an extra bit to their nose, I suspect. Cêpes are just one of the autumnal fungal joys. We have a couple of days of rain pending. Immediately after then the stampede begins. Tractors will rush into the forest to places where locals have 'caches' protected down the generations. If we are lucky, one or two will stop in passing and offer a few from their bursting plastic bags. My OH will fine tune her proboscis and disappear among the trees.

I've tried it but no way. I once found a giant puffball (calvatia gigantea) of about 60cm diameter, but that was because it was so blooming obvious that if I had not then I would be the bearer of a white stick.

Anyway. We have the last flush of sorrel. The basil is in and processed into pesto. The fungii are promising and the organic eggs from down the road can merge any or all of these things into omelettes of such splendour that I am licking lips writing.

http://www.survivefrance.com/t/what-to-do-with-a-glut-of-cepes-porcini-mushrooms/13558