Certifying a UK Birth Certificate

Thanks. So the mairie could do this too? I will ask in the morning. They are only open 9:00 - 12:00 …

1 Like

@anon54681821. I think you might have misread the post. It is nothing to do with translations, and merely about getting someone to certify that the document you are sending is a true copy of the original. We have had to do that numerous times, for example opening accounts in UK, sorting out a pension, carrying our executor duties for our parents, where I don’t wish to send originals by post. Sometimes any old official, doctor, or equivalent professional will do. Other times they want a notaire to do it.

If they do not know you… go gently… armed with passport (identity) and smile and be very, very polite, explaining that the Notaire is booked up for yonks and that this needs sorting asap… and, please, please, can you do a Certified Copy for me ??? :relaxed::hugs:

1 Like

We too have been asked for this, called into the Notaire, they took a photocopy stamped and signed that it was a certified copy and didn’t charge a sou !
For a request from a pension provider for a ‘certificate de vie’ to prove that the recepient was still alive our local pharmacien stamped and signed the form !

yes that’s already been sorted with stella i misread it.

1 Like

It all depends what it is for…For Proof of Life, basically the Asker simply wants someone of sufficient “standing/integrity” to do the signing to say so-and-so is alive and well. Had not thought of asking our pharmacist… great idea. :relaxed:

I’ve always asked the mairie for this kind of thing. They certified a copy of my passport, which I carry so I don’t have to keep the original passp[ort in my bag. They did a Proof Of Life for my husband too. Start with the mairie, I’d say.

1 Like

So, I walked into our Mairie, which is combined with the post-office. I had a short wait whilst someone mailed a package to Paris and discussed the pleasant change of weather. Next, my turn. A quick explanation then out came the “Copie Certifiée” stamp and it was done. My Notaire still has not done anything with the copy his assistant took.
Moral of the tail: Always ask at the Mairie …

1 Like