Changing the clocks 30 March 2024

You should be completely covered like I was apart from the cost of your private room if you so wish to book one. The CSS also paid for my two foot operations last year at no cost apart from the room for the day as I had to wait several hours for the family to come and get me after work. Make sure your Opthal knows you have CSS which should automatically be on your carte vitale and it might be a good idea to update it too.

1 Like

Yes Tim’s videos are always worth a watch (no pun intended) - I subscribe to his channel.

1 Like

Not necessarily. I did not use any doctor for either eyes or feet. The eyes were dealt with by the Opthal which is a regular visit anyway and the feet, I just rang the orthapaedic dept at a nearby hospital and got an appt for a few weeks later to see a surgeon, it was then taken over by him and the only time a doctor got involved was to give me an ordnance to get the initial xray and blood test done, never saw her since!

1 Like

Doesnt all this depend on it being clouding of the lens? Getting older its the cones and rods at the back of the eye that wear out. Of course getting the health of your optic nerve checked is sensible.

Research from UCL on improving eyesight as we age with red light therapy at specific frequencies looks promissing and I am going to give it a try before vision gets any worse.

Cataracts only affect the lenses.

There are, however, many other diseases that can affect other parts of the eye, especially the retina, which is why a regular proper eye exam is a very good idea if you want to give your eyes the opportunity to work for as long as you do!

1 Like

thanks to everyone for this slight drift… as I’ve just realised that OH and I are due a checkup with friendly Ophthalmo, if he hasn’t finally retired.

If he’s at the meeting next week, I’ll gently interrogate him about an appointment :wink: :wink:

Hi Brian, it was just the thread seemed to be focussing (pun intended) on lens replacement/ cataract surgery which Captainendeavour hadnt actually mentioned was the problem? Just worn out eyes at this stage.

2 Likes

cataract surgery is what several ladies in our village… have undergone… very successfully so far.

Normal eye examinations aren’t covered very well but the cataract ops were covered by a combination of the state cover & our mutuelle.

If the problem is indeed cataracts, I echo the other comments: get it done. A friend recommended an English-speaking ophalmo and I booked an RDV through Doctolib. He saw me within a week or two and arranged the two operations, again within a matter of weeks. He charged 70€. The operations at a clinic cost either 170€ or 340€ (can’t remember which) and I assumed my mutuelle would cover this. It didn’t, but this was a small price to pay for essentially a new pair of eyes. Friends gave me a lift to the ophalmo. For the operations themselves, I just popped into the local ambulance taxi firm, showed them details of my RDV and they took me to the clinic, about 60 km away, four times (twice for post-op checkups), waited until the work was done and drove me home. No charge. The clinic gave them ordonnances. I would have gone to my MT in the first place but she’s very busy and I would have spent two or three hours in the waiting room to see her. The procedures could vary by department. I’m in 24. Must remember to change those darned clocks.

1 Like